Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, February 23, 2009

Public Works Shoves It Up Your Trash And Then Some

I was driving down Naylor Street in Salisbury early one day last week, and came upon a City of SBY trash truck and its attendents. They were going back and forth across the street tipping the cans into the truck as you would expect - but then I witnessed them doing something that dropped my jaw... I watched as they picked-up numerous blue recycling containers - full of cardboard, paper, and plastic jugs - and dumped them right in with the trash!! WTF?? Is that what the City calls "recycling" - having people go to the trouble of separating their items and placing them out in the blue bins - just to have them tipped and trashed with everything else? This is ridiculous! I myself am an avid recycler - and definitely a "pro-green environmental" person. Hey, we need all the help we can get to clean up after the trash coming out of the Tilghman-Comegys led crews!

Your blog rocks! Thank you for exposing the TRUTHS in Salisbury... And I hope this posting makes it to the City Public Works Department Head - who will boot-stomp the idiots who dump the recycling in with the "trash"....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark my words one day all the natural resources will be deminished or whats left of them will go to the country that bids the highest for them. One day they will pay you to come take your recycled trash. It wont be garbage anymore.

Reconciled1 said...

That's a shame if its true. My wife andd I are big recyclers too. Go to the recycler bins at least once a week

The "C" word said...

??? Wow, what I witness on my street Emerson Ave. and the city trash truck, city recycle truck is that the recycle truck comes first in the early morning then the city trash truck follows later in the day a few hours later. Not all city employees try to take short cut's with their jobs. Being disabled my husband has MS and is in a wheelchair. Both trash and recycle truck employees bring our can's back to our house for us they don't need to do that but they take it upon themselves and see that the can's are return. Thumps up for the City Trash man on Emerson!

Debera

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming what happened was that the recycling pick-up placed the cardboard (only) into the trashcan. City recycling includes glass, metal and plastic, but not cardboard. You'd have to take that to the county drop yourself.

Anonymous said...

What really strikes me is that at the local transfer station, pickup truck after pickup truck drive past the recycling bins and then proceed to dump their "trash" in the main trash bin. What is obvious to all is that most of their "trash" is stuff they should be recycling.

The do it without shame, and without any sense of the damage they are doing. I makes me think the locals here are just plain lazy AND crazy.

Ignorant idiots....