Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, February 13, 2009

Horrible Accident Accident This Morning In Fruitland

An elderly woman in her late 70's was walking into the Fruitland Post Office when another elderly man in his late 70's was pulling up to the front of the Post Office in his pickup truck. Out of nowhere the truck lunged forward pinning the elderly woman up against the wall, crushing her pelvis and one of her legs. There were no internal injuries.

The Fruitland Police are not sure if this was a mechanical error or driver error but I'm told the victim is in critical condition and in surgery as we speak. The Fire Department, (directly across the street) happened to be holding a function today so they had plenty of people on hand to quickly assist and rush her to the Hospital.

We'll see if the FPD can update us on her condition.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at city hall paying my water bill when a fruitland cop when tearing out of the parking lot towards the PO. When I passed by, there were several firefighters holding up a blue tarp to block the view. I was wondering what was going on.

Anonymous said...

I say whenever someone turns 69, its time to hand over their license. No more driving past that age! I am sure this is another, I got the gas pedal confused with the break pedal deals.....

Anonymous said...

I pray that this woman will be ok. Life will never be the same for her. Knowing her as I do she's a very strong outgoing woman. My prayers are with her family and friends as we wait for news.

Anonymous said...

anon 752
U seem to be a little judgemental here. My Dad is that age and I dont think he would really like it if i told him to hand over the keys to the harley or to any of the other numerous toys he has because he is 69! I would put him up against anyone including you. He can run circles around you before you even get out of bed.
Get real.

Anonymous said...

she has very serious injuries

Anonymous said...

This issue has been studied to death. Remember the infamous Audi spontaneous acceleration claims over 20 years ago? 99.99 percent of the time an older (or any) person says "The vehicle lunged forward, and I was pressing the brake pedal!" it's because they got the pedals confused. This happens so often it's almost become a joke. Once you hit 65 there should be re-testing every 3 years or so.

Anonymous said...

The vehicle that struck her was backing out of the parking space when it hit another pickup truck, bumping it just a bit, the man paniced and threw the truck into drive lurching forward over the concrete parking stop pinning the woman between the truck and the building. Last I heard they flew her to shock trauma in Baltimore in critical condition.

My prayers to victim and the family.

Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck Bryan Fykes is trying to say. Do you just want us to know that you were aware that something happened but don't know what? Why would we care about that? Jebus!

Anonymous said...

9:43
The frequent retesting after a given age seems more equitable than just taking licenses away from those over 65. It should be required, though.

Unknown said...

The woman that was pinned is my Aunt, and she is still in critical condition. They almost amputeed her leg. Right now whe is still in ICU. Please keep your prayers coming in. Thanks NJ