Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A Wonderful Story

Last week I did a story about the Christmas Boat Parade and we received what I thought was a fantastic comment and it went as follows.

"Bryan Fykes said...
I just wanted to pop on here and Thank you, Joe, for telling us about this. We hadn't heard about it anywhere else, and my kids went nuts when they saw all of the boats.

and to 10:54- jealous much? I don't own a firetruck, but I love to see them decorated in holiday parades. I don't have a big house, but I love to see lots of lights on a really big house... exactly because I can't do it myself. It gives me a goal when my 2 year old son says he wants to ride on the big boats someday. I will work my fingers to the bone to do that for him if I have to. You see show-offs, I see the American dream. I see the possibilities and it gives me hope. And I need that hope this Christmas, since neither my wife or I have a job. So if I was like you I would say to you "quit flaunting in my face that you CAN pay your bills." learn to see the possibilities, not wallow in self pity.

Bryan Fykes"

That being said, one very dear friend of mine who was in the Boat Parade saw this message and immediately called me. He said, Joe, do you know this Bryan Fykes? I remembered the name but couldn't put two and two together. Once this friend reminded me it was someone who had made a comment I instantly recalled the comment as it touched me as well as many others as well.

Nevertheless, he asked me if there was any way I could contact him. I asked why it was so important and he said, I want to take Bryan and his Son out on my boat and fulfill his dream. My response was, you know this doesn't surprise me about you but that's one hell of an offer and a unbelievable thing to do.

As busy as things have been it slipped my mind today but as a higher power would have it, I received a call tonight that just blew me away! The person calling said they wanted to fill in a spot at Sam's Club and ring the bell and she gave me her first name but I couldn't hear the last name. So I asked, what was your last name again? FYKES. I said, is your Husband the guy that wrote that wonderful comment on the Boat Parade? She said, that's the one. Talk about unbelievable.

I proceeded to tell her why this was so important and she just couldn't believe what I had told her. Arrangements are being made to make sure Bryan and his Son get out for the experience of his lifetime. All because they wanted to donate their time for the Salvation Army.

My friend will read this Post and let me know if he wants his name known but I know him well enough to know, he's not about all that. He told me that if he was in Bryan's shoes, he'd want his Son to experience the same and he certainly has NOT forgotten where he came from. Great things are happening right here on Salisbury News.More importantly, I've got the greatest friends on earth!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of work does Bryan and his wife do? Maybe we can find him a job.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Really cool. Joe, you really can be a force for positive change. I hope you and all your readers carry this idea forward. It is a tough time in America, let's try to set aside the negative and be positive, folks.

Anonymous said...

Joe, this is a very touching story! Your friend has a heart to do that for Mr. Fykes and his son. Not to mention that his wife is also filling a spot to ring the bell at Sam's! I hope they have a wonderful Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I think that was wonderful of the boat owner do offer to do that! I read some of the negative comments about the boat parade. It seems that there are always negative things written when positive things happen. I love to see the little kid's eyes light up when they see those boats coming every year! To those of you who had something negative to say, BAH HUMBUG right back to you! I'll bet none of you are volunteering to spread some cheer this Christmas season either. That is so sad that you are so negative. Try to find something positive each day...it will make you a better person!

Anonymous said...

Fake post.

Anonymous said...

To Anon 10:59,
Whatever.
To everyone else,
Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Tilghman Pirate, this is no fake post. I am Bryan's wife, and we received a call from the owner of the boat this morning. Our family has been invited onto this boat by this very generous person. If you would like to make a donation to the salvation army, you will see me, my husand, and our two children ringing the bell at Sam's tomorrow morning between 10:00 am and 12:00 pm.

Insider- I am currently in the process of being reinstated at my former job, prior to becoming a stay at home mom. I thank you for your concern, and hope you have a wonderful holiday season!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay, I'm the scrooge who pissed everybody off. I'm sorry. Truly, I am sorry. I guess I just forgot about how excited the children would be to see the parade, and children are so precious. Who would not want to make a child smile? I'm not a big fan of Christmas, but that doesn't mean I should begrudge anyone else the joy they experience this season. I wish you all joy, love, hope, health, happiness and prosperity.

No, I'm not jealous, and I am sorry that my remarks made people so angry. Those remarks were a knee-jerk reaction. I am glad for Bryan and his family, especially since their bad fortunes are reversing by his wife going back to work. I wish them all the best.

And while I have no days off from now to Christmas, and was disappointed not to find Joe at the Wal-Mart today, I did stuff some money in the kettle. I've also donated to the Red Cross and the Make A Wish Foundation. No, I'm not asking for a medal or a pat on the back; I just want to let you know I'm not really the evil grinch I appeared to be.

joe albero said...

I'll be back at Walmart at 4:00 tonight. Tomorrow's Post will explain why you missed me today. Thanks for coming by and thank you very much for donating.

Anonymous said...

Anon 3:14,

Good for you, I hope you have a good holiday and a super new year. It is easy to get grouchy this time of year (I'm often guilty of that), but if you stop and remember the best holiday you ever had, then take that feeling and go do soemthing nice for someone, it is amazing how cool it feels! So here's a pat on the back even if you don't want one :)

Anonymous said...

No explanations necessary, Joe. I was just looking forward to saying hello to you in person.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, anon 3:23. Being forgiven feels good.

And Joe, I won't see you today. After revealing myself as the grinchly one, I'm too embarrassed to come up to you and identify myself. Another time, perhaps. But please know that I am a loyal reader (which is not to say I always agree with you, but respect your right to speak your mind), and it is because of your pushing so hard to help the Salvation Army meet its goals that I put money in the kettle today.

Anonymous said...

To the person who thinks this is a "fake post", I am not sure if I am the only person to make the offer to Bryan and his son for the ride, but rest assured the offer stands........ they are welcome this weekend for that trip on the Wicomico and dinner with many good friends that are far from the "showoffs" portrayed by some on the previous post. I work like Bryan is inspiring his son to, and I think it would be a good experience to see that life does return dreams to those that work hard.


Joe, I am the one that also has the fire truck, so I guess I have a soft heart toward their person that defended that ... LOL, call me.

Anonymous said...

From my past experiences at WYC I would say that 99% of the people down there will go out of there way to help others in need.

Anonymous said...

Anon. 3:14

You are forgiven! I know that sometimes it is hard to be positive in such a negative world. I'm glad that you saw the real goodness in this post. Don't be ashamed to introduce yourself to Joe, he's a good guy and has a heart as big as Texas.