Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

ODE TO MY CHILDREN FOR 2009

TO MY CHILDREN: I LOVED YOU ENOUGH....

"Some day when my children are old enough to understand the logic that motivates a parent, I will tell them. I loved you enough to ask where you were going, with whom, and what time you would be home. I loved you enough to insist that you save money and buy something for yourself even though we could afford to buy it for you. I loved you enough to try to be silent and let you discover that your new best friend, boyfriend or girlfriend was a creep. I loved you enough to take the candy back to the store (with a bite out of it) and told the clerk "My child stole this yesterday and I want to pay for it." I loved you enough to stand over you for two hours while you cleaned your room , a job that would have taken me 15 minutes. I loved you enough to let you see anger, disappointment, and tears in my eyes. Children must learn that their parents aren't perfect. I loved you enough to let you assume responsibility for your actions even when the penalties were so harsh they almost broke my heart. But most of all, I loved you enough to say NO when I knew you would hate me for it. Those were the most difficult battles of all. I'm glad I won them, because in the end you won, too."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great!! I am putting this on my refrigerator.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

thank you! I needed this today.

Moon Willow said...

So true, Joe. Thank you. My children will tell you that I did the same for them, and they are grateful for it. They tell me all the time that any mistakes they made were their own and not because of anything I did. They will not let me blame myself for anything.