Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, September 22, 2008

Self Defense - right or priviledge?

My wife and I just returned from Virginia Beach. Although I have been known (by my wife) from time to time to just get up and, from out of the blue, say "let's pack a bag and go here or there", this wasn't one of those occasions.

My sister and her husband (from New Jersey) have, for the past 8 years, visited Virginia Beach for the Air Show with a few other couples. Each couple gets their own room at the "Super 8 Hotel" on 27th and Atlantic Ave., and they do different things and go different places for about a week after which they return home to the hussle and bussle of day to day life. Not this time.

In the early morning hours of 9/20 a knock came to the door of my sisters hotel room. They had just gotten back into their rooms a few minutes before and believing it was one of the other members of their party, she opened the door. Immediately the door was forced the rest of the way by 3 black males, one of whom stabbed my sister in the abdomen causing major internal injuries. As soon as her husband could react he engaged the closest assailant at which time her husband was stabbed in the abdomen, shoulder, and head. There was another member of the party in their room with them surfing the net on my sisters new laptop computer. He was instructed by one of the assailants to give them the computer. As the attention of the assailants was turned to the computer, my sisters husband went out the sliding glass door, over the railing to the balcony of the adjoining unit where another member of their party was staying and banged on their door to call 911. My sister was on the floor in her unit bleeding from her stab wound. Her husband, although bleeding profusely almost to the point of unconciousness was able to get help. The assailants were gone within 45 seconds and the police arrived within minutes. Even though help was right around the corner, both my sister and her husband were almost killed - for a f**kin' laptop. Yep. Both are suffereing from massive internal injuries and will spend more than a week in the hospital and several months recovering IF they completely recover. I sat and watched my sister slip into a morphene induced sleep and after several minutes jump back into consciousness as if someone had hit her. I suspect the psychological injury will take a great deal longer to heal.

Now we can sit and comment (and I'm sure some of you will) how my sister shouldn't have opened the door, etc. A victim can never be blamed for the diabolical intent of a criminal.

It's no secret that I am a proponent of concealed carry laws. I firmly believe that EVERY law abiding citizen should have the right to carry a firearm on their person without having to convince some judge, panel, or committee that they need it. Now I'm not gonna get into the intricacies of "people should receive training" and the like - for the purposes of this post it's not the point. The real point is this. Those opposed to concealed carry laws try diligently to outlaw firearms period. They lobby politicians to pass laws that ban the possession of handguns in our cars and on our persons. Look objectively at what this has done. These laws have taken law abiding citizens and created victims of them. All the laws they have passed for the last 50 years have done NOTHING to prevent criminals from victimizing innocent citizens. As a matter of fact, these laws have taken good, hard working people who decided that it was necessary to keep a firearm on their person in order to defend themselves and family members and turned them into criminals because to do so violates the law.

I firmly believe that if my sister and her husband had been permitted to carry a firearm they would have had one with them. It may not have stopped my sister from being stabbed, but it would have likely stopped her husband from suffering the same fate. Whats More, if criminals knew that more innocent people carry handguns, they likely wouldn't try so frequently to commit these types of crimes since their intended victims wouldn't be defenseless as they are now.

Do you think so many students would have been killed at Columbine if the teachers had the right to carry firearms?

Do you think number of fatalities would have been so high at Va. Tech.?

How about 9/11? If the passengers on the planes that struck the WTC's had been armed, do you think the terrorists would have succeeded?

Joe posted a Youtube video some time ago of a girl testifying to some committee about an incident involving a gunman in which her mother and father had been killed. There were no law abiding citizens carrying a firearm present. What if that were YOUR mother and father.

If someone you loved were in a public place such as a school or a mall and someone started stabbing people, one after another, wouldn't you want a law abiding citizen with a firearm present to make sure that YOUR loved one wasn't a victim?

How can it not be common sense that these types of incidents would fall off sharply if law abiding citizens had the right to carry firearms? In fact statistics show that violent crime DOES drop in areas which permit the carrying of concealed firearms.

More and more states every year recognize that it is a God given right to defend yourself and your family and every year these same states enact legislation permitting the carrying of concealed weapons by law abiding citizens. We should all do what we can to convince our legislators that it is time that Maryland does the same. Enact lagislation that would permit our law abiding citizens to carry a concealed firearm AND exercise reciprocity by honoring concealed carry permits issued by other states so that they will honor ours.

30 comments:

Chimera said...

Damn good post,Grandad and I have to agree with you.I am still iffy on schools with guns because I do not think all the teachers should be armed-but if we are going to have cops in our public schools anyway then just let them have access to firearms while on duty at school.I do not want my kid or anyone elses kid caught in the crossfire while a shooter is loose and everyone is waiting on the police to arrive.Sounds radical to some,but its a radical world we live in when someone will take your life for electronics,or often,as seen at Columbine,no good reason at all.
And for the record,Grandad,if I am ever at the mall shopping and some jackass decides to open fire on shoppers,I hope that you or someone like you will also be shopping,and whip out a gun and stop the creep.Anyone who feels different,look west to states with liberal carry laws for an example.

Anonymous said...

Good post and right to the point. WE all should have the right to carry. If this happened to me, I would absolutely have a fire arm. And I would sure killed those mfin' individuals.

Mardela said...

The right to bear arms. It's in the constitution. This should be just as important as any issue we have. Crime is so high, and the gangs that terrorize our communities, the police can't be everywhere.

Now I don't think that everyone should be able to go purchase a gun and strap it on. I would like to see licenses isseud similar to the driver's license. Take a class, take a test, both written and live fire. Register any firearm you plan to carry and have strong penalties for those who abuse this. I don't think anyone intoxicated should be able to carry one.

This is a good point to show that our representatives don't truly represent the people. If they did, we wouldn't be having this debate. I'm not sure how we can get this changed, but I sure would support any effort to allow us to carry guns. We all would be safer. Why should we let criminals outgun us?

Anonymous said...

Talk about a crime rate dropping give every law abiding citizen the right to carry a concealed weapon and watch it disappear. Only one problem though we would not need as many police officers. But that could be a good problem. No gun law on any states books has ever stopped any criminal from committing a crime we do not need more gun laws. We need tougher laws on criminals with guns to make the difference.

Anonymous said...

Grand Dad, I'm sorry for your sister and brother in laws bad fortune. I'm with you my friend, right to carry is the only way to go. If he were able to put a bullet in the head of one of those thugs the other two would have either run or fallen down in tears begging for their lives.

Anonymous said...

I've thought the same thing many times about ones right to bear arms.

I wish our legislators would have the gonads to induce our population to defend themselves like they do in Texas.

The incident would have been thwarted if either one of the victims would have had a firearm to defend oneself.

xploded said...

Sorry for your family and my prayers go out. I also agree with you 100%!
The Constitution gives us the right to keep and bear arms. We should be allowed to exercise ALL of our rights. Too bad those punks didn't get a case of "lead poisoning"
Time now for all the libs to start blasting back so go ahead give it your best shot.
I would rather go to jail for a handgun violation then have some punk hurt my family or other innocents.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for what happened. I wish them a speedy physical recovery, though the psychological damage may be forever.
I'm not sure that carrying guns would have helped in this case, though. They would have had to have opened the door with a gun in their hand, since the assailants forced themselves into the room as soon as the door was opened. It doesn't sound as if they had enough time to react. I do have conflicting feelings about letting anyone have guns, but that's not relevant here.

Anonymous said...

Though I do not know your family, I will pray for their recovery, though not only the assault, but the mental trauma of being attacked.

As our economy gets worst the criminal element increases their activity and there are more of them.

I 100% agree. We stop nothing by making it illegal to carry a weapon, if we all had a weapon it would deter crime. Would more people shoot each other, I doubt it, would their be more family violence, I doubt it, would three be more crime involving fire arms, I personally think NO, I think that if a gun toting thug would think twice before he/she attacked a store manager, or entered a home or attacked a senior in the street.

I would not hurt an insect, however, I would shoot a person who attached me, or any of my family. Shoot them until they hit the ground.

I sometimes worry that as the poor get pushed further into poverty that home invasions will continue to climb. I am not ashamed to say that I do not believe firearms are a good thing. I have never before felt that we needed them, however, now I do. The society is not capable to protecting us, we have to protect ourselves.

Bob said...

Thanks Donna,

It was hard to see them both that way. I'm still trying to get the serial number to the laptop to the Detectives at Virginia Beach PD. It also seem that one of their Nextel phones was taken. The Super 8 has live feed video but it wasn't recorded.

Anonymous said...

Yes ALL of us should be allowed to carry. It is good to see so many people recognizing this very important safeguard to defend ourselves and family. You couldn't be more correct when you stated that gun laws make victims out of law abiding citizens. Criminals are opportunists plain and simple. When the stakes are raised, and they know it is more likely that the person they are about to victimize could possibly be armed, they will think twice before going through with it. To answer your questions; NO, NO, and maybe....I would hope no.

Anonymous said...

I knew as I was reading this that it was going to be a black man (men) doing the the crime. When I am driving down Rt. 50 and I see the Correction Institution Van it's always a 90/10 ratio favoring blacks over whites on highway duty. It's a given. But we're all supposed to love everybody even when they are killing us. It's interesting, I wasn't racist until about 5 years ago, but now as I have opened my eyes I have seen how they abuse the system and how they seem to always be the criminals. I saw on the Oprah show one time last year where a black girl in the audience said even she would not want a black man changing her locks. Oprah was astounded, but I thought it was refreshing to see a black tell the truth about their own race for once. Not all blacks are bad, just the bad ones are bad and it seems like there are alot of them. Oh, but I'm not supposed to say that for fear of disenfranchising someone. I say, pull up your pants, get a job, and pay taxes and stop killing people and abusing the system. It's time we stand up and speak the truth.

SunnyInOC said...

I have a gun at home and at work . . . just for those reasons. I want to protect my family and my own life. I also want to protect my business and employees.

Although I agree that when on vacation, it's a good idea to carry protection, I do not agree with carrying at ALL times. I know most people would be responsible, but you know and I know that there are some out there that are trigger happy and crime happy. If your family members we carrying a gun, what makes you think the thugs that did this don't have the same right to bear arms?

May God help your family. I hope they make a full recovery and can move on from this horrible tragedy.

Unknown said...

I travel a fair amount with folks via car,plane,boat etc... and only one of those forms of transportation "effectively Prohibits" me from carrying,wearing,strapping or having on or about my person several things I am well trained to utilize in order to render animals such as these DEAD! Your family members are now victims like so many others and I am saddened to hear about the attack. As for these three animals that have stolen your family members peace in this world just post up your email address here homies,I'll get you directiond to mi casa. I'll have my little friends here and we'll "LEAVE A LIGHT ON"!!!!!

Wymzie said...

Picked up my conceal carry permit last week, and will submitting it next.
I am sick of hearing about things like this, and will not tolerate myself or family becoming a victim of some a$$hole who thinks he can just take over my life for few minutes to take whatever he wants.
The Columbine and VA Tech events were sad sad days in our history, and I know that I know that if there were someone on campus that were armed the carnage would have only reached victim 2 or 3.
I have been in Wyoming and can't tell you the numbers of people carrying a gun on their holster just walking around, shopping, conducting business, everything with a gun on their side.
There is no crime here and this is the reason why.
With all of the break ins and robberies in our town in the last two months citizens need to pull their heads out the sand and the courts need to let these thugs know that citizenry is armed and lawful.
My prayers to your sis and brother in law, Granddad.
Guess she will be gettin her conceal carry permit post haste!

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your family granddad, they will be in our prayers. As has already been said, we should have the fundamental right to defend ourselves, not to be victimized.

Bob said...

Thanks for the support everyone. I got an e-mail last night from a reporter named King of the "Virginian-Pilot" which is apparently a newspaper. She stated that she had heard of the incident but has been unable to confirm the details. I am going to e-mail her back and refer her to the Lead Detective. It's not a good idea to release too much information. Any information released should go thru him or his supervisor. Hopefully they have a lead on the suspects and I wouldn't want to jamb that up.

Anonymous said...

anan 11:00
it is attitudes like yours that show that there are still so many ignorant people in this world. Don't forget that most serial killers and school shooters are white. Let's drop the color issue and understand that in this ever changing world, color does not matter.. attitude and ignorance does.

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with your sister and her husband for a recovery. Thank you for posting this. I would have done the same exact thing by opening the door if I was in the same situation. I agree with you. I wish they had a gun to pop one in their asses. Let them try this at my house and see what happens to them. It's a terrible thing to watch any family member go through such a violent act. I have no faith in the justice system any more. If they caught the losers, they would get a slap on the wrist. Instance justice would have prevented it all. Sincerely, Beth A.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to your family members traumatized by this horrible event. I am a gun owner and have seriously considered getting the permit to carry since I have to take money to the bank from my job at 9:30 at night, and sometimes large amounts during the day in the Christmas season.

I can't agree with students on college campuses carrying, though. Not with college students being notorious for binge drinking and pranking. I think it would make things much, much worse.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they make a full recovery without psychological issues. I am in full agreement with the right to carry.

anon 11:00 Hate to agree with you but it's hard to ingore the statistics.

Anonymous said...

It's a wonder O'Malley isn't behind legal weapon possession, there's another tax he would just love.

Anonymous said...

Although the state of MD is draconian with CHP's, and with firearms in general, Virginia's gun laws are very open and follow the US constitution. MD doesn't even include anything like the second amendment in it's state constitution, BTW. It is one of only a few that doesn't, BTW.

Furthermore, You can carry a handgun without a license in the state of Virginia, provided it is openly displayed. you may not conceal it unless you have a permit. so a belt holster openly showing that you have a firearm is perfectly legal. Think about that the next time you go to Virginia Beach.

from Wiki- Virginia allows unlicensed open carry of a handgun that has a capacity of twenty rounds or less, unthreaded barrel and no collapsible stock. (Most handguns fall under this category). Open carry is defined as the gun's true nature is not "hidden from common observation" (wording per VA State Police website)

Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) holders are exempt from:

* One gun a month rules[151]
* Rules regarding open carry firearm restrictions (see above)[152][153]
* General College Carry Restrictions[154]
* Gun Free School Zone act, CHP holders are allowed to have guns on school grounds in their personal vehicles as long as they stay in the car and the gun remains concealed[155][156]
* Ban regarding firearms in VA General Assembly.

Virginia CHPs are shall issue.[157]

Open Carry is done throughout the state mainly by Concealed Handgun Permit Holders. CHP holders are not allowed to conceal handguns inside any restaurant licensed for on-site consumption of alcohol, although any citizen may open carry inside one. In more rural parts of Virginia, open carry is more common as CHPs cost money that some rural residents may not be able to afford.

In urban areas, open carry is uncommon, but not unheard of nor illegal under Virginia State law. However, local law enforcement has been known to stop and question individuals who do so.

Under Virginia code, localities may no longer regulate firearms with sole exception of regulation of discharge of firearms.[158]

NFA34 weapons are allowed under Virginia state law but machine guns must be registered with the Virginia State Police.

Kris said...

I'll be writing a paper about gun control here in the next week, so reading this post def gave me some good insight in regards to this issue (for instance, hearing it from your point of you, being a vitcim and knowing victims of violent crimes). No, I dont always agree with what is written on this blog, but I do thank you for sharing this story and your insight. Hope your family makes a full recovery asap.

Anonymous said...

From a close friend I hope your family heals quickly.

As for the race thing. Wow lets look at numbers. Statistics never lie.

Anonymous said...

I hope there is some group or organization trying to put pressure on our elected officials to pass right to carry legislation. It is a fact that in every state where they have passed this type of law, crime has dropped drastically. For those applying for a permit to carry now, don't be suprised if you are denied. I don't know of anyone that has ever been approved.

Bob said...

Anon 10:29...

I have a concealed carry permit. They are very difficult to get. You have to be able to justify a need that satisfies your govt. Such as carrying large sums of money, repeated threats of violence against you, etc.

Wymzie said...

Marylands Laws are made for business owners mostly.

You have to have been a victim
or
You have to show proof that you have to carry large sums of money

I think the law pretty much stinks because it doesn't even address your rights to keep and bear arms.

Yes, serial killers are usually pissed off white guys, but most home invasions, muggings, rapes drive by, gang related deaths and thefts are blacks.
The facts are the facts.

Anonymous said...

I think SU students should be able to carry guns both on and off campus, because I hear that these kids are being jumped and robbed by the local welfare assholes, and the city police could give a damn.

Anonymous said...

"Do you think so many students would have been killed at Columbine if the teachers had the right to carry firearms?"

That's debatable, IMO. You're talking about unstable minds, minds that probably would have taken that into consideration when they planned their attack, and minds that in all likelihood would have enjoyed a firefight of sorts.

Before people get up in arms about my response, let me say that the older I get, the more I think that the laws ought to support our right to carry- I'm just not sure about those people with only a couple brain cells to rub together, or those impulsive folks with bad aim that decide to intervene in a bad situation and hurt the innocent folk, not the "bad" folk. But, I suppose those people might be carrying already, right??

In all seriousness, I will keep your sister and brother in law, and all their friends (even though they weren't hurt, I'm sure that they are having a very hard time handling this)in my prayers. I pray that God touches each of them and eases the physical and emotional pain. I hope those heartless, opportunistic, and greedy individuals get what they deserve, from someone, and very soon. God bless.