Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, September 08, 2008

Another Best Buy Best!

NEVER...EVER BUY DELL AT BESTBUY
[9:35 AM] Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app12.logmeinrescue.com...
[9:35 AM] Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
[9:35 AM] Chat session established with Agent McCowan.

[9:35 AM] Agent McCowan says:

This session may be recorded for quality and monitoring purposes.
Thank you for contacting Geek Squad Chat. This is Agent McCowan. How may I assist you ?

[9:35 AM] Michele+Costa says: Hello goddmorning
[9:35 AM] Agent McCowan says: Morning
[9:36 AM] Michele+Costa says: I do own a Dell Lapotop bougth at Best Buy March 14 2008, Sarasota Fl.
[9:36 AM] Michele+Costa says: At the moment I am in an overseas assignment in the Dominican Republic at least fr 3 months
[9:37 AM] Michele+Costa says: I contacted Dell International support which refered the problem to your group
[9:37 AM] Michele+Costa says: I would like to send you copy of the e-mail explaining the issue
[9:38 AM] Michele+Costa says: Hello,....are you there???
[9:39 AM] Agent McCowan says: Yes I am here
[9:40 AM] Michele+Costa says: may I send you in the dialog copy of the e-mail???
[9:40 AM] Agent McCowan says: I was thinking matbe you were pasting in the email with the issue
[9:40 AM] Michele+Costa says: yes I will then...
[9:41 AM] Michele+Costa says: HELLO LUIS,

I was also wandering if there is a software patch for the BIOS to ignore the ID from the AC power adapter therefore allowing the battery to charge................It is really annoing to use a laptop connected to the AC permanently, and with a battery charged at 15%-20%........

Waiting for your reply, thank you in advance

Michele Costa

Mr. Luis,

I do have still a problem.......

The issue related to my DELL INSPIRON 1526, SERVICE TAG 3BPMMD1, EXPRESS SERVICE CODE 7238520757 ,it regards the AC ADAPTER not being recognized by the Laptop resulting in the battery NOT being charged. See Dell's knowledge base Journal ID 08246VTBNJ

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=358E1DBD3B7F4BCDE040A68F5B2877AE&doclang=en&cs=#5

Now I pinpointed further the issue and ruled out the AC adapter, since I compared it with a friend's and I determined that the plug inside the Laptop has a contact issue.

Now, I bougth the system in March 2008, in Best Buy Sarasota, Fl. but I am staying in the Dominican Republic for the next three months.

Could you direct me to Dell's local support, to change the defective part, I believe in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic Dell has a support center.

Regards, Waiting for your reply........

MICHELE COSTA
[9:42 AM] Michele+Costa says: My e-mail is michelecosta2004@gmail.com, may phone is 809-979-3672
[9:43 AM] Agent McCowan says: You basically are wanting the local support in Santo Domingo ?
[9:44 AM] Michele+Costa says: No, I was directed to your group.....
[9:44 AM] Michele+Costa says: Yes, I would like to service the Laptop in Santo Domingo, if there is a service
[9:47 AM] Michele+Costa says: Do you know if there is a patch fr the BIOS, to avoid reading the Ac adapter ID, therefore allowing the battery to charge?????
[9:48 AM] Agent McCowan says: I am researching your issue as we speak
[9:48 AM] Michele+Costa says: OK
[9:53 AM] Agent McCowan says: I have been informed that we do not ship nor do we have a store in the Dominican Republic
[9:53 AM] Michele+Costa says: Best BUy or Dell??
[9:54 AM] Agent McCowan says: No ma'am
[9:55 AM] Michele+Costa says: my name has Italian roots I am Mr.Michele
[9:55 AM] Michele+Costa says: what do you suggest I do????
[9:56 AM] Agent McCowan says: You do have a 1 year limited warranty with Dell through Best Buy but it is an in store process
[9:56 AM] Michele+Costa says: so if I have it repaired down here, do I loose the warranty????
[9:57 AM] Agent McCowan says: That would void the 1 year warranty \
[9:57 AM] Michele+Costa says: Well, then could I ship Fed-X to the Sarasota store????
[9:58 AM] Agent McCowan says: Then how would they ship it back to you
[9:58 AM] Michele+Costa says: using the same international carrier???
[10:00 AM] Agent McCowan says: We don not ship to the Dominican Republic
[10:02 AM] Michele+Costa says: well, then I am really disappointed, since when buying a DELL at BEST BUY, I should have been informed, that the support was only going to be US based.......It seems like it's a poor strategy, both for DELL and BEST BUY............thank you and have a nice day....I AM NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER
[10:03 AM] Agent McCowan says: Thank you for contacting the Geek Squad Chat. Have a good day
[10:03 AM] Michele+Costa says: thank you

[10:03 AM] Agent McCowan has ended the session.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Well Well, I have just been on the phone with guess who? Best Buy. I purchased a sony Vaio on July 19,2008 for close to $1,000.00. I had to return to the store on August 30 because the Network card was completely GONE. This means there is absolutely no way to access the internet. I was told I could not return the computer as it had been more than 14 days. (Their window for returns.) They would have to send the computer to Sony since it was their warranty. Should take approximately 10 business days. I realized it was a holiday weekend, so I figured maybe a little longer. Well, I called today to check the status ( I was not expecting it to be done as it hasn't been 10 days) since I had read such poor reviews of Best Buy here, and after 5 minutes on hold, they informed me the computer had been checked into the store incorrectly and didn't ship until Sept. 2. Okay not bad it was a holiday weekend. BUT it still had not reached the location they had sent it to! Where the heck is my computer I ask. We can't say for sure I was told. So I ask for the manager. Manny comes to the phone, (the same manager I dealt with on Aug. 30 during drop-off.) Manny says the computer went to the Geek Squad in Louisville KY and he thought they might have had a hurricane and it probably affected shipping! WTF. Okay, the storms could certainly affect shipping times, but the computer has been in transit for 6 business days now, the storms down south weren't bad enough to affect shipping for that long. Then he proceeds to tell me nobody said it would be ready yet it would be at least 10 days. I said I understand just checking on he status. Where is my computer and when will someone know where it is. Will I get it back this month, next month or even this year! He says "I'm not arguing with you, you'll get your computer back when you get it!" Now this is not my first Best Buy purchase by a long shot: 3 computers, 2 flat screen computer monitors, 2 tv's, lynksys systems, car stereo system and a picture printer. BUT IT WILL BE MY LAST! Do not go to BEST BUY. They absolutely don't have any clue as to the meaning of customer service or standing behind a product they sell even if it was manufactured by someone else. I also called the corporate office. They were better about helping, but I did refer them to this blog, and told them that their poor customer service and management were really taking a toll on this store if the comments here are any indication. They are expediting my repair and sending a gift card so we will see.

Anonymous said...

I would never buy a Dell due to their warranty and being proprietary. I would never buy from Best Buy because of their history of poor customer service and lack of knowledgeable sales people. Long before they opened here I had heard many many complaints about the store. No need of me trying to prove the masses wrong. I either buy direct or I buy local. I own 4 computers, two of which I will never part with, a Sony Vaio desk top and a Toshiba laptop. The other two are for games and grandkids, a Gateway (never buy from them again) and an HP.

Anonymous said...

Not to mention they are quite expensive. From my experience, Circuit City is actually cheaper.

Anonymous said...

I have dealt with both Dell and Best Buy and have been totally satisfied every time. I will not hesitate to deal with either in the future.

Anonymous said...

Bought and had machines serviced at Best Buy. No problem. Very satisfied.

joe albero said...

Geek Squad on the Net and in Damage Control.

Anonymous said...

Best place in Salisbury for a PC --is "Brainwave" on Rt. 13 North! Prices are not the best, but not bad, and the advice and service work is tops. You get what you pay for, folks.

And it's a local biz. not a megalomerate from Texas or China.

BTW -- Dell is now selling its plants and outsourcing the assembly of its PC's (it doesn't make any of the components).

Anonymous said...

Allowing a "geek squad" punk to touch your PC is DUMB!

Anonymous said...

I am anonymous 3:09pm and I don't work for Geek Squad. I am only stating my personal experience with Dell and Best Buy. I have never dealt with Geek Squad.

Anonymous said...

i have bought two computers through Gateway and have never had one problem. I will continue to buy thru them. Has anyone had bad luck at Circuit City or Staples buying computers? Just curious

Anonymous said...

This is typical of Worst Buy... if you want a Dell it is best to purchase through Dell online... we've done that twice for our PC and laptop and been very pleased.

Anonymous said...

We used to swear by HP but after having the same kind of problems with service mentioned here we switched to Dell. We were given the same B.S. run around by H.P. direct from their service out of California. Still use their printers but NEVER again for their computers. Also have had the same kind of deals with Best Buy and have to say they are rude to say the least and we will never buy from them again. The extended service programs you buy from them are a rip off to start with , if the machine needs a extended contract on it you should leave it there. Must also say if you deal with local people when buying merchandise like this most of the time they will see to it you are taken care of. With that said you must also understand their price may be higher because they cannot buy at the price the chains do but hey you get what you pay for!

Anonymous said...

5:52 I agree with every word you said other than I don't buy Dell printers either. When I need work done, I go to Samuel, hes good, he's fast and I've never had to take anything back for the same thing twice. He also warranties his parts and work. His prices are affordable. I'll stick with him until he gives me reason not to.