Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fundraiser For Local Delmar Resident

"Joe,

I am writing to you to bring attention to an event that is scheduled to take place in Delmar on October 18th. Before I get into that, I would like to congratulate you on the success of your blog site. I first became aware of your blog when I was working for a contractor on the 500 Riverside Drive shoreline project. I’ll admit I was taken back by your brief report on the jobsite at that current time, but I understood what you were trying to do. It’s all about accountability as you so often state and that is something that the City lacks tremendously. I was a student at the University from 2000 to 2003 and remained in Salisbury for four years after completing my degree. I moved last spring and have been living in Baltimore (working in Northern VA and Montgomery Co. for a commercial contracting company) for the past year and a half, but I still read your blog every morning and on my lunch break. I like to keep up on the REAL news in Salisbury, as it is my intention to eventually move back to the area. Enough of the background…and again you are turning out quite an amazing product that allows everyday citizens to more fully realize how much their voices need to be heard.

A very close friend of mine received life changing news a year ago about her father’s men tal health condition. He was only a year into retirement from a career at Delmar High School, and it appeared that he was in the first stages of Alzheimer’s disease. After many trips to the local hospitals and eventually Baltimore hospitals it was determined that his condition was worse than the doctor’s had originally thought. He had developed Pick’s Disease, a very uncommon disease that reverses an individual’s mental capacity and eventually leads to death. This man has a loving family who would like to bring awareness to the disease and help provide funding for more research, as there is no medicine/treatment available to cure or slow its progression.

You can visit the Association for Frontotemporal Dementia (AFTD) for more information
http://www.ftd-picks.org

The family and friends are organizing a 5k/fun-run at Delmar High School on October 18th of this year. The man and his family have been lifelong Delmar, DE residents and are well known in the town. The date, course and basic ideas have already been decided. At this time we are trying to decided registration fees, pledge amounts, sponsorship, etc. I would like to ask you if it would be possible to post an advertisement on your blog regarding this event once=2 0all the pieces are put together in proper form.

Please let me know if you would be interested in providing space on your blog and helping to bring awareness to the masses that you are able to reach on a daily basis.

Sincerely,

Ryan Mitchell"

No comments: