Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Miniature Horse, Sugar Gliders And Beta Fish Take Part In Children’s Pet Fair







Over 60 Children and their Pets Participate

(Salisbury, MD) Over 60 children and their pets came out to the Wicomico Youth & Civic Center this morning (July 19) to take part in Wicomico Recreation, Parks & Tourism’s free Children’s Pet Fair.

Judges, including Beverly Horner of the Salisbury Kennel Club and Pat Evans of the Humane Society were tasked with picking the day’s winners. After a round of tough competition, the following participants and their pets were selected:

Best Dog (Children 7 & Under): Cassandra Crimmins and her Chihuahua Mickey

Best Dog (Children 8-10 years old): Layla Renshaw and her Boxer Sammie

Best Dog (Children 11-18 years old): Julie Horner and her Golden Retriever Toby

Best Cat: Bailey Reynolds and her cat Milo

Best Miscellaneous: Jordan Ray and his spotted leopard Gecko Spike

Best in show: April Black and her Jack Russell Terrior Precious

Each child was given the chance to parade their pet around the judges’ ring and show-off their pet’s tricks to the judges. While all children received a certificate for participating, first place winners were awarded a trophy and $10 gift certificate to Salisbury Super Pet. The Best in Show award recipient, April Black received a $20 gift certificate to Salisbury Super Pet.

The Children’s Pet Fair was brought to you by Wicomico County Recreation, Parks and Tourism and sponsored in by Salisbury Super Pet with help from the Salisbury Kennel Club and the Humane Society.

If you would like to learn about programs, classes and events offered by Wicomico County Recreation, Parks and Tourism (including next year’s pet fair) sign up for Recreation email alerts at www.wicomicorecandparks.org

The Daily Times was not present, nor was WMDT or WBOC. Any photos and information was provided by Wicomico County.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear, typical of all three - The Daily Times, WBOC, and WMDT - why don't they cover these things -their reporters are sooooo lazy, if it's not handed to them on a platter they just don't go out and get the stories - shame on them, no wonder they have problems. The only thing they report on anyway is what's happening in Delaware - like we care.

Anonymous said...

my son wqas there for the first time he had a great time with his hamster and hanging out with the other kids great thing that happened for the kids and i saw joe running around with his camera great job joe I knew I could count on you to see the pics

Anonymous said...

The Pet Fair was great. It was not only fun to watch the children interact with their pets, but the great parents that took time to bring them to participate. I hope each took home memories of a fun day out with their favorite pet and proud to do so. I remember taking my dog to a Girl Scout Pet fair at St. Peters Church downtown. My dog won first prize for doing the most tricks~ That was more years ago than most on this blog can remember~~~ BUT, I still remember the fun I had going.

Anonymous said...

What fun! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

...you won't post this comment, because you know it's right.

I'm willing to bet that if you marked all the stories those three cover each week with "Joe Albero was not present" - you'd have a much longer list than if it were the other way around.

By the way, I'm counting actual stories, not "Joe Albero heard a rumor and is posting it to stir the pot" which is the modus operandi of this site anyway.

joe albero said...

I'm one person with 2 other local writers that usually do not go to locations to cover stories. That being said, considering I'm on my own, considering the Blog is FREE, I'd say you're getting a muich bigger bang out of local news and information from this Site verses a Staff of 200+.

Certainly I'll publish your comment. However, how much more credibility do you think you'd get if your name was on the comment?

Anonymous said...

"Certainly I'll publish your comment. However, how much more credibility do you think you'd get if your name was on the comment?"

See, you never ever ask that of those that agree with you...only the dissenters. People would be more apt to take that question seriously if you asked it of everyone that comments, not just those that disagree. You take anonymous comments that are favorable at their word, and call out the others.

It's the trying to have it both ways that rubs people the wrong way. Obviously those who perhaps work inside the GOB might need to keep some anonymity, but not every commenter on here has to mask their identity.

That's the big stumbling block that keeps this site from being a true community - almost never knowing who is talking. As it stands, it's like the Grapevine over at the DT, if only the DT fired back at commenters once and awhile.

Anyway, I'll take your point as it stands with the print edition of the Times. I wouldn't pay one cent for that paper, let alone whatever they're charging how.

However, DelmarvaNow.com -is- free (and loads on my internet connection just fine,) and my coat-hanger antenna picks up WMDT and WBOC with no problems. Their websites are also free of charge.

So, my investment in all involved is the same - $0. Well, that plus my internet access fees. Between them all, I get more news than I'd care to read, really.

joe albero said...

Let me say this. The FACT that this Post is ablout a wonderful event that many of you should have gone to and was in fact advertised as a Post on this Blog to let you know in advance, your comments are getting way OFF topic here and destroying the fine event that happened. I let it through because I wanted your point to be made. However, it will end there, at this location anyway, because it is off topic. I have deleted many comments because they didn't belong there, or should I actually say, I've deleted hundreds and hundreds of them because they didn't belong.

Many of the Anti Albero Bloggers attempt, (stupidly) to make nasty comments here every day, I don't all those either.

Many asked me to tone the Blog down and I did just that. Just because there are a few of you out there wishing to stop people from coming here, (Barrie Tilghman, Mike Dunn, Gary Comegys, Chief Webster) you'll lose at your game. There are other sources where you can say all the nasty things you want about me. It just won't happen here.

Get it? Got It? GOOD! Back to this wonderful event.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see an event like this get coverage. I wish that your comments on the prior post were a little more sensitive to something that families are reading.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the reason WBOC was not at this event was because of their hard-hitting lead story on the 6pm news Saturday evening:

HOLES DUG IN THE SAND AT THE BEACH AND THE PROBLEMS THEY CAUSE!!

I kid you not...the LEAD story on the 6pm "Delmarva Report" was people digging holes in the sand at the beaches!!

Hey, here's a tip...PEOPLE ALWAYS DIG HOLES IN THE SAND AT THE BEACH!

My wife and I sat at home laughing our a$$es off at this story...unbelieveable that the News Director at WBOC felt this was a lead story....wow!