Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, June 06, 2008

Response on Open Question on City Park Part 1

John Swanson, the chair of the City Park committee, emailed me a very nice letter on the status of city park. He assured me that any questions that he did not know completely he would inquire about and get back to me. I thank John for his time and his commitment to the area.
I'm going to split up the letter because it's lengthy and then add my response to it.

From John,

Allow me to begin by prefacing my answers to your open questions with some background, on both the City Park Committee and myself. The City Park Committee was founded in the late spring of 2004. Our mission is to advise the City on the park's needs and to consider proposed donations to the City for placement in the park. We have no executive or legislative authority, and no budget. We're a nine member(plus a City Council representative) committee that meets once each month, except in December. All of our meetings, held the third Tuesday evening of every month at 6:30 PM at the Zoo's ESBA education building, are open and announced to the public.

My interest in the park is similar to yours; I grew up in the neighborhood and spent almost every single summer day in the park fishing for Largemouth Bass, it means a lot to me. My involvement with the City Park Committee stretches back to its founding. I was a charter member, having just graduated from Wicomico High School. The opportunity to improve and maintain the park combined with an opportunity to fulfill what I believe is civic duty was too much to pass up. I have served continuously since, while working on my Bachelors at Salisbury University, which is nearly complete. I served my first two years as Secretary, and for the past year and a half, I have served as Chair. My appointment expires in 2010.

Finally, before answering your questions, I want to explain from where the answers come, and how reliable the information may or may not be. I'm going to do my very best to provide you with accurate information, however, I cannot consider myself an official or wholly accurate source. All of the information is derived from briefings given to our Committee by various City and Public Works officials, or from answers I have received to specific inquiries. However, much of the information is from my own personal recollection and notes, and as with any other human being, I make mistakes as my memory isn't 100%, and I'm perfectly capable of misinterpreting a briefing. So, all that out of the way, allow me to attempt to answer your questions:

No comments: