Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Question of the Day, Thur 6/26

Today brought to you by reader Melissa Malone:

Verizon DSL - DID YOU KNOW?

Did you know that Verizon offers DSL internet at a low price. You can get 768K speed internet in your home for $21.99 a month. Now they don't like to tell you this when you call, they always want to up sell you to the faster speed, however, for the average home user, 768 is plenty. Much faster than dial up and close to the same price. With Verizon DSL you know longer need an extra phone line (if you have one). You can talk on your phone while using the internet.

Now, they will also offer you a contract rate if you sign up for 24 months. $12.99 the first 6 months and $17.99 the next 6 months and then $21.99 the second year. However, if you cancel within those two years you will be charged a fee of about $80.

So, I started calculating. In two years on this plan I would be saving $3.50 a month ($84.00 over the two year period). However, when I asked them about guaranteeing the speed they said they couldn't do that, so if in two years the speed slows down and the service is so slow I could cancel it at a cost of $80 for early termination.

Why would I take a rate guarantee from them, without a service guarantee from them. I want my options open at all times, and $3.50 a month is not worth them owning me. So if you are looking to cut expenses you can get the Verizon DSL for $21.99 a month with no obligations.

Verizon-Basic Phone: Have you ever gone on Verizon website and looked for their basic package. It is nowhere to be seen. But after calling them and asking basic phone, no long distance unlimited calling to local areas. 16.95 a month.

GROCERY SHOPPING TIPS - DID YOU KNOW?

That you can take all the flyers from all the other grocery stores in your area into Wal-Mart and they will price match your groceries. We have done this a few times and after two times, we found that Wal-Mart only had to price match two items because everything else was still cheaper than the other stores.

NEW RELEASE MOVIES FOR $1 -DID YOU KNOW?

Go to www.Redbox.com and look for locations in your area. Wal-Mart's, Giants, Super Fresh all have them. New Release movies for just $1.00 per night. Just has to been returned by 9pm the next day. At any location.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dumped Verizon last year after a T-Storm that took out my phone they scheduled service and no-call/no-showed for TWO days in a row!! A phone call from the tech explaining the situation would have been nice. Their customer no-service persons explanation was;"Well we are very busy, we can schedule the service again tomorrow, will someone be home between the hours of 8 and 5?" After having someone stay home from work for two days already with nothing to show for it, I just called Comcast. Though I'm no huge fan of theirs either, the guy did show up when he said he would.

Tax Guy said...

I have Comcast internet and couldn't be happier. Every year, after my promotional rate of $29.95 goes up to $44.95, I go into the office, and ask them to give me their advertised special, instead of disconnecting service and signing up new for the $29.95 rate. Combine that with VOIP for a home phone(not comcast digital phone), and now I have tons of bandwidth, unlimited calling, and pay less than Verizon for phone/dsl.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Tax Guy that is great, however, it must be who you know because we have tried on many occassions to do just what you did to get the promotional rate after the contract is up and they won't budge. I would love to know where you live so that I can go into Comcast and complain that they are giving you what they won't give me.

Anonymous said...

By the way tax guy, what do they charge you for tv?

Tim Chaney said...

Does anyone have Comcast phone? I have Verizon phone/dsl and unlimited calling because many of my close relatives don't live so close. I am thinking about going for all three from Comcast because it would be a good savings. I would like to hear some comments from someone who have or had Comcast digital phone.

Not only is Verizon pricing themselves out of the market their help centers are located in Kazacistan or somewhere LoL and usually can barely understand the rep.

Tim Chaney said...

I watch very little to none network TV so I have the $65 TV package, however I think I saw if you sign on for 2 years all three, TV, Internet and phone for $100 a month and price won't change for 2 years would save me a nice chunk of change.

Anonymous said...

of course wal-mart is cheaper. its called a monopoly, these corporate bastards own park place, board walk, and have hotels on all of them.

Anonymous said...

My Comcast phone is on more than my Verizon ever was. Better quality too.

Anonymous said...

I have all three with Comcast. The price is worth it plus now it's only one bill instead of three seperate ones.

Tim Chaney said...

Thank you folks, that is exactly what I needed to know. One bill is going to be nice also. Now I just have to call them and inquire about their best deal when I ask, "Now why should I take the whole package?" LoL I know it will save me about $500 a year at least the first two years.

Sunnyinoc thank you for this forum, been trying to get that question answered for some time now.

Anonymous said...

Verizon offered me 768k or 3MB - nothing in between. I took the 3.

When my modem was delivered, it was PROGRAMMED for 1.5Mb. They will not change the modem to 3Mb like I am paying for. My only option is to drop to 768k.

Another cost saver - you can get a DATA LINE and skip their phone service all together. They charge more for DSL, but you save about $6 per month.

Also, consider using something like www.magicjack.com. $40 for your first year of service, and half that each additional year. Gives you unlimited long distance!

Anonymous said...

If you've got a cell phone you don't need long distance on your landline. You can get Verizon for $12 a month if you get the extreme basic. All incoming calls are not charged, outgoing calls are 10 cents each. You get no frills but what do you want for $12 a month.

Anonymous said...

Verizon tried pulling B.S with me about a year ago. We have a cell plan and had land line through them. They offered a thee plan of DSL, phone and cell, one bill, $120 a month. It was great, except they never got it on one bill, DSL service was shoddy at weird times, and when we cancelled DSL and land line they did not tell me I had to call both the dsl and landline service numbers to cancel each so I got an extra month charge I had to fight with them over. Comcast is great, 1 bill, and if you call and complain to the right person you can get some great deals. We just shaved another 20 bucks a month off our bill with our last call.