Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Pet's Ten Commandments

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without God's critters.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shame on you for making me cry first thing in the morning.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

So true, Joe, so very true. We have had our beloved cat for ten years now, and he is a member of our family. He's very intelligent---rolls over on command, comes running when I say "Food!" and has my husband thouroughly trained. There's nothing better than a cat who sleeps at your feet every night. We will both be heartbroken when we lose him. Right now, he is the king of all he surveys, and we truly love him and treat him like a king!

We also have two leopard geckos and a Chinese water dragon that we're very fond of. We take very good care of all our pets and try not to think of what it will be like without them.

grannydragon

Anonymous said...

It's not very easy, I was with my 2 former dogs that grew old and had to be put to sleep, I stayed right with them and made sure they didn't suffer a minute. If you aren't able to do that, I understand, however I can tell you that they just close their eyes and go to sleep.

The last one I even had Holloway's come pick her up to be cremated, they treated her just like a person.

Anonymous said...

9:07. Once I stopped sobbing like a little bitch, I had to respond. My vet came to our home where our family stood by our family friend when his fight with cancer had reached an end. We each held a paw, and although the ending was unbelievably sad-I hope that I get the opportunity to go with such dignity and love. From the support of Dr. McAllister, who had the compassion to treat my dog from his diagnosis to the ultimate housecall, to ALL the staff at Holloway's, who arrived 15 minutes later and treated my dog with the respect and valor of a fallen soldier on the field, my thanks still go out. The cremation was handled economically and efficiently-As a result we still have Crosby's ashes in an urn under a poster size picture of him when he was just a young dog. Jesus, now I think I need a drink...I can't even see my keyboard anymore because of the tears.

Anonymous said...

Nice, Joe. Now I want to go home and hug my "rescued" dog! We've had pets my whole life and they've ALWAYS been part of the family. From the huge Irish Setter (I swear he was part horse) to the baby raccoons....we've loved them all! Glad to see you feel the same way about your "babies"...:)
countrygirl@heart

Anonymous said...

Joe,
That was beautifully written. I have the 'All American Mutt.' ( The dog off the beneful box.) She turned 17 in March. My husband is an excavator, and she worked next to him for 13 years, everyday, until she retired 4 years ago. (If anyone out there knows Ed Choquette, with the big 4 door f-350)People are always asking where Shelby is! Well, she had a stroke 2 summers ago, and she was different for a few days, then out of the blue she was jumping on the kids beds, chasing the cats and ducks, and playing tug of war with the kids! (before the stroke she could barely get up after a nap.) Well, we figured it was only a matter of time. We had to carry her outside, and walk her with a towel around her waist so she could do her business. I could go on for hours.........sorry friends.
She is laying next to me right now chewing on a rawhide. My husband has had her for 17 years from a puppy, and I am scared for him when she passes..........That's his little girl. crap....i'm out of tissues......
Thanks Joe for this beautiful piece. I haven't had a good cry in a long time.
Countrygirl

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that Dr. McAllister is one of the best veterinarians in this town, and I've been to quite a few. So it makes me extra glad to read that he made a house call to euthanize your pet, 9:40, in the comfort of his own home, with his family around him.
We all should be so lucky.

Anonymous said...

very beautiful Joe and this can be said (if slightly altered) about how we treat our loved ones as well. I know I'm guilty of being less then feeling at times with my pets but never a day goes by I don't take time to show them lots of love.

I love all animals.

Anonymous said...

If there are no dogs in heaven, I don't wanna go.

No one is that happy when I come home.