Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, June 08, 2008

An Excellent Question

"Joe,

What exactly is your policy regarding Anonymous comments? Yes, you run a blog, which by its very nature is opinion-based and voluntary, especially in readership. So, if someone does not like what he or she reads, then the option is there not to read it at all. Plus, I am an adult, and can handle any criticisms thrown at me directly.

However, that is the rub. Anonymous comments are, by their very nature, not direct. I liken them to a punch in a dark room. The Anonymous writer can stir up whatever they want, then sit back and watch the response without ownership, or consequence. It is a very immature way to go about things, and very opposite to the “ideals” espoused by these posters. How am I (or anyone, including you or any of your contributors) supposed to respond to an opponent who does not really exist? I know that if any Anonymous posters would attack you, you would feel the same way, or simply not post their comments on the blog.

My belief is this: If you have an opinion about anything at all, man up and own it. Stand by it and scream it from the highest point you can find. If you can not sign your name to your opinions, then why have the opinions at all? As the moderator of the blog, anonymous comments and their idiocy/attacks/whining reflects on you. Yes, I am all for not infringing on freedom of speech, but that freedom, and all others, come with responsibility, a very important point ignored by most people.

Anonymity allows one to say whatever they want to say at all times. Freedom of speech does not actually work like that. (Go in and shout “fire” in a crowded theater, or shout racial epithets at a group of African-Americans and see what happens. Not only would you have to worry about bodily harm , but legal ramifications as well.) If the posters here want to wrap themselves in the flag and their stunted understanding of their freedoms and what it means to be an American, then someone needs to call them on it. Everyone has a right to be a dumbass, but you have to be a dumbass out in public, for everyone to see.

To hide from your own opinions is the opposite of being a strong American. It is immature and counterproductive to a discussion of what freedom is. We will all stand together and call for the capture and prosecution of someone who would plant an anonymous IED by a roadside in Iraq. Why to we cheer the anonymous word-based IEDs posted here?"


I think we all have fallen a victim to anonymous comments on the Blogs. In many cases being anonymous is very important. Take for example an employee of Barrie Tilghman who has some inside information but if their boss found out they were commenting in a public format, they would surely be fired, especially if it was against their boss. Remember as well, this person may feel a strong need to get the TRUTH out there without retaliation simply because they care.

There are the Anti Albero Bloggers, (few and far between now) who like to get on here and stir the pot. I have been making sure 95% of their comments never see the light of day and whenever I choose to go to their Blog to see what's going on out there I can see I'm doing a great job at it because they simply get on that Blog and complain I wouldn't allow their comment through, ROTFLMAO!

Running a successful Blog take a lot of time, trust me on that one. I have to make decisions every day that I hate doing but I must be as fair as I possibly can. We still get racial comments, lots of curse words in many comments that no longer see the light of day and the majority of punches being thrown in a "dark room" are gone. Just go back and look at the amount of comments that come through here in one day. They're reaching between 100 to 200 that I'm allowing a day. That's a LOT of comments. Now know that around 50 to 100 of them never make it. Do you have any idea how much reading that takes me a day just to moderate comments alone? Then we're putting together articles, running around to locations taking pictures and actually participating in the community. Like I said, running a successful Blog isn't easy.

As much as I'd like each and every person on here to have a name and some accountability, it's simply impossible to do. In many cases I can't blame most people for not putting up their name. Now, should Barrie Tilghman get her a$$ booted out of Office I believe you'd see many more names popping up. In the mean time, people would rather not experience sudden violations to their homes and costly legal fees to defend themselves against a control freak.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you do a fine job of keeping ridiculous stuff out, but i do think you let alot on even if you disagree, shit im surprised half my stuff goes threw,thx.

Anonymous said...

I also agree and would like to post my name here, however if you have ever suffered under the retaliation of the mayor you would understand why some post Anonymous.

I also agree that it gives an opportunity to stir the pot, in this world these days you need thick skin and take things at their real value. If it is something ridiculous, I think most of us can read between the lines and let it roll off, no offense.

Thanks for the service Joe.

Anonymous said...

I see Pittsville has over a $35000 increase in property taxes coming...wonder what the hell they are going to waste that on...certainly not services...we used to have alot more now we got nothing and they are raising taxes!! went to the town hall the other week and it was CLOSED...water man said person was on vacation...we used to have a manager and two or three other ladies working in there and things were good....what is going on NOW?

Anonymous said...

Joe, since I put my name on my comments, I certainly agree with you on this, although I do understand why city employee's can't put their name on their thoughts. One good reason to put your name on a comment though is that it causes you to think before you write the coment. No one wants to sound like a boob in what they are saying, if they sign the comments.

A. Goetz

Anonymous said...

OK joe, I get the point. I didn't think that people were commenting anonymously out of fear of retribution. I never meant any harm to anyone. I was just trying to protect my administration, my pocketbook, and myself. I know that I was only a housewife, but what other job could give me all the money I could ever ask for just for giving breaks to some of my new friends? I must admit that I never counted on you. You seem to be everywhere. You even got me in deep shit at the WWTP. (punn intended) You were onto me with the TIF, the zoo, the drain into the river, my arrogance toward the citizens, EVERYTHING. I don't care about the citizens. I won't run for election again because you will just bring up my past record and cause me even more humiliation. Oh well. You did give me a lot of attention - which is something I don't get at home.

I have to go now. I'm working on a scam involving eminent domain and business properties which promises to yield a substantial windfall before I leave office.

Sincerely,
Mare

Anonymous said...

She could not have said it any better herself. I always put my name on my post, but do truly understand some for not. Those who work for the her are very afraid to let her know what they really think and feel. Sad very sad.

Wanda Disharoon

Anonymous said...

Keep up the excellent work Joe !
I enjoy your blog and the way it is managed . You can't please everyone , but overall it's a very interesting piece of news !
I like to see peoples opinions ,
we know some will be over the top , but whatever! Every country
has radicals , it's nothing new!

Anonymous said...

Why is the author of the post anonymous? Obviously Joe added to the original piece but the question asked is asked anonymously.

Anonymous said...

some people like me will get in trouble with their jobs if the post their name, although i would love to be able to!!

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that when people sign there name they are almost always nice postings or ones that seem to want to please everyone, so there is little retaliation.
When someone does not sign there name they speak there true feelings . Good or bad it lets you know how people really feel. In other words the trurh comes out, and as i saw earlier posted on this blog the truth really hurts. But when certain people cannot retaliate they get pissed. This is a great blog , and if you cannot deal with it.What part on the on-off switch dont you understand?

joe albero said...

anonymous 3:17,

"I" chose not to post their name because it was not a comment, it was a personal e-mail sent to me directly.

Many know this person as his name is Dan and I'll not give any more information than that.

I asked Dan if it was OK to put up his first name and he agreed. So don't go acting like there's more to this particular Post. He's much more of a man than you'll ever dream of being, anonymous.

I'll close with, what retaliation are YOU so afraid of that you need to remain anonymous, or are you just an Anti Albero trouble maker?

Anonymous said...

Some people just don't have clue!
Joe , like I said , keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind that some folks that comment on this blog are in positions that would be attacked if their name was posted. I say this because I am one of those people , if I put my name on what I have written then most assuredly there will be attacks on me and my business. We live in a mean society that CANNOT take constructive comments weather they are good or bad . As a wise old farmer once said to me "pay backs are a bit_h" so thus this is the reason quite a few people post as anonymous. The wealth of information that is gathered through other peoples comments has proven to be very eye opening to me so therefore I would like to see these comments remain to be posted. Surely we all are not going to agree with others all of the time but if you keep an open mind when reading info posted here you are bound to learn more of what and how others think and feel . Thanks goes to Joe and his willingness to keep us informed of our local leaders deceptions and actions that would go undetected if he was not there to expose some of this stuff.

Anonymous said...

Joe, Yo have been doing a great job let anyone say anything! That is our freedom amnd something a guy like YOU shows that he stands for! A True American Yo Are !

Let all the crybabies go where they belong,, back under their blankets where they lie and cheat!

Anonymous said...

Joe, Tell me why it takes more of my time to read your blog than the "Daily Times"? Could it be the articles?, the comments? or the depth brought to a story?
I think most all comments have some value even if you just want to prove yourself an idiot. The reason I don't sign my name is that I do a lot of business in Salisbury, sometimes for the city. I need my customers to pay for the kids college. MOST of my customers know of your blog, some agree and some don't. I can't let my political beliefs jeopardize my income.
love your work,don't stop and remember to vote.

Anonymous said...

2:27:

Please allow me to place the "prong" up your "prong.




Good post. Ha, ha.

Anonymous said...

A blog in Dc that gets quite heated at times , went though the same thing. They finally put it up for vote as to wheather you should have to sign your name or not. The yes's won and the blog went dead for 3 weeks before the moderated had to change it back.

joe albero said...

I have been doing this for so many years now, I know what will work and won't work, hence the 200 to 300 comments a day.

Anonymous said...

I am one whose family could be hurt if I signed my name. I admire people like A. Goetz and Tim Chaney who do sign their posts. I don't use foul language, and I try to stay on topic. If and when this crooked and scary Salisbury political scene changes to one of respect and accomplishments for the good of the citizens, then maybe we will ALL be able to sign our names without fear of the "police state" coming after us.