Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, May 12, 2008

Question of the Day, Mon 5/12

Could you ever work with/for your spouse?

My husband and I run a business in West Ocean City. He ran it himself (for 4 years) until 5 years ago. I was a purchasing agent at Tyson Foods in Berlin until they closed. Instead of finding another job, I helped out over the summer at his shop. Summer turned into fall, winter, spring, summer again....this is my 6th summer working for him. It can be very trying at times, but it works for us. Most customers know we are married because they see our dynamics and say we compliment each other. After 13 years with this man, I'm not tired of him yet....even better---he's not sick of me, so it must be a good sign.

So many friends, family & customers have said they could NEVER work for their spouses....COULD YOU?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I worked together for over 30 years. We got along great!
Work is work and home is home.

Anonymous said...

Only if I wanted to spend the rest of my life in jail!!!

Anonymous said...

No way. The man who I am married to now is terrible with customer service. If it was for him, my business would have no customers. My business is stricltly customer service oriented and he has NO patience with anyone! He is so he says an "engineer" and works better when he is by himself - in his think tank I assume!
On the other hand, he is good in the technical side and I am the outgoing, personable, smiling and friendly type. So in that respect, it could work - as long as he stays in the background!

Anonymous said...

I could never work FOR my husband, I know he could never work FOR me, it just wouldn't work. Having said that, we both work very well WITH each other. There is a big difference working FOR and working WITH.

Anonymous said...

With his business we have an understanding. He puts the pipeline in the ground and I do everything else.
It works for both of us. He says he wouldn't have a clue on the "inside" work.
Lbuck

Anonymous said...

Been working with her and working on her for 35 years, so I quess that qualifies us compatable.