Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Local Rescue Story


Ed went to look at a piece of property to possibly purchase, and when he got back, he told me there was a dog at the back of the property, and she looked really hungry. Being the person I am, I took her some food and water. She looked like she hadn't eaten in a month. It was one of the saddest things I had to look at. And her cage, so small, with no shelter, and her standing in 3 inches of S**T!

Immediately, I call the Humane Society, (1/16/08) and they come pick her up in the next few hours. I actually bugged the hell out of the staff every day, by calling daily to see how she was. They were very nice to me though. After 14 days in protective custody, I took my daughter to visit her, and I fell in love with her all over again.

Today I took Eddie and Joey, and they informed me that she had not passed her heartworm test........( I was devastated, because they told me it could possibly kill her with her first shot of heartworm medicine.) As they were doing that, they ran our application and approved us. Kai then came out of that backroom alive! And because of the persistance I had calling everyday to check on her, they knew that I (and Eddie) would provide a good home for her. They let us take her home TODAY!!!!

They told us that if it had't have been for my persistance and visiting, she would have to stay til the end of February. (That would have sucked!) She isn't allowed to run, because of the heartworm medicine. (and she wants to so bad!) She goes back at the end of February to get her second treatment as well as getting spayed.(they couldn't do it, because of the severity of her heartworms)
SO..............

$150 for 1 heartworm shot
$125 for adoption fee plus extras.......
------------------------------------------------
$275 after all is said and done
1 Happy Healthy Puppy.............PRICELESS!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome story, and God Bless the folks who are helping this dog.

By the way, please don't give up on dogs with heartworm. Dogs do come through the disease and harsh treatments to live good lives.

I hope someone can find the S.O.B. who did this to this poor dog and puts them in prison.