Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, January 28, 2008

Congressional Candidate Andy Harris Speaks Out On Illegal Immigration


Friends,

There has been much debate over the issue of illegal immigration. I wanted to take today's post to clearly discuss my commitment to ending illegal immigration.

The issue with illegal immigration is personal to me. My parents legally immigrated to this country to escape communism in Eastern Europe. My parents followed all of the rules to get into this country. They were forced to sign a document saying they would not be a burden on the government.

The horrors of communism were well understood by my parents. Growing up, they taught us to cherish the wonderful freedoms and blessings America had to offer. They truly understood the American Dream, and because of them, I am living it today. When my parents came into our great nation they followed all of the rules to come here. They had to sign a paper promising they would not accept free government benefits. That like so many other things has changed. Today, illegal immigrants cost taxpayers billions of dollars and it must be stopped!

As a State Senator, I have been a leader in Maryland against giving illegal immigrants government benefits which is why the state leader against illegal immigration, Delegate Pat McDonough has endorsed my campaign. I have co-sponsored legislation to ban illegal immigrants from receiving drivers licenses. I also successfully fought against giving illegal immigrants in-state tuition at our state colleges and universities by threatening to filibuster the legislation. i encourage you to look up newspaper articles from a year ago that discussed how I led the fight to kill that bill.

As your congressman, I will:
Vote to Secure Our Borders
Oppose all forms of Amnesty
Vote to hold businesses accountable

I hope you agree that our nation must end illegal immigration now. Illegal immigration not only costs taxpayers billions of dollars a year, but is also a threat to our national security.

The campaign is coming to a close and I hope I can count on your vote. I hope you will keep visiting our website to see the latest campaign updates.

God Bless,

Andy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's exactly what we need!!! A strong man in Congress not afraid to stand up for his beliefs. As well as someone who will fight this immigration problem instead of playing nice and not wanting to offend anyone. I was waiting for this, and he has my vote!!!