Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, December 14, 2007

Don Singletom Speaks Out About The Daily Times/Gannett

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I am a part of a Panel who has been chosen by The Daily Times to speak out every week. Once a week the Daily Times asks a question to this Panel and we respond. We also get together once a year at Christmas time for some fellowship and as we are working out a time, date and location, Don has responded to such an invitation with the following reply and asked that I publish such.

"Hi Susan,

This under the rubric of "make them pay."

I was stunned to learn that the Des Moines Register, another Gannett so called newspaper, had excluded Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel from the debate last night. Their excuse was wad of logic chopping drivel. The reality is they censored the two liberal candidates in the race. I will shortly call to cancel my subscription to the Daily Times. Ganett will never see another dime or a dollar from me. This kind of egregious censorship by a supposed journalistic organ smacks of thought control. I don't care who your candidate is in any of the races no single organ has the right to decide who you will hear and will not hear. That the organ in question pretends to be a newspaper is outrageous. That Iowa Public Television, so called, participated adds insult to injury. I can't imagine why anyone who values the First Amendment would ever deal with Gannett in any way again.
Don Singleton
Retired Professor Broadcasting/Journalism"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quite the statewment by the Professor and well worth the reading. I can't help but agree with him on his stand here and it is good that he is dropping the Gannett rag for good! I dropped the local piece of crap about a year ago.

A. Goetz