Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, November 26, 2007

Congressional Candidate Andy Harris Speaks Out On 2nd Amendment Rights


Friends,

With hunting season now in full swing, I am reminded of time my father spent with me growing up. I remember the day my father bought me my first rifle. It was a Winchester .22 Long Rifle. As I was growing up, my father taught me how to use that firearm. I give him full credit for me achieving pistol expert status in the US Navy.

My philosophy on the right of each and every American to "keep and bear arms" is a direct result of my father's teaching. I believe every American has a fundamental right to own a firearm. I also believe the current government regulations are too strict, especially in Maryland.

I am the only candidate in this race with a Pro-Gun record. That is why the Gun Owners of America have endorsed my candidacy, and the reason that I have received "A" ratings from the NRA.

As your congressman, I will oppose gun control legislation. I will fight to decrease the current government infringement on the 2nd Amendment.

In contrast, my opponent, Wayne Gilchrest, does not support 2nd Amendment rights. He supported the most restrictive gun control legislation to pass in the last 20 years, the "Brady Bill." Newspapers even claimed he was a "major player" in assisting with the passage of that bill. I would have opposed the "Brady Bill."

Recently the Supreme Court agreed to decide if DC's gun ban is constitutional. I firmly believe it is not; however the Supreme Court could rule that the gun ban is legal. If the Supreme Court rules that way, it will be critical to have congressmen who will fight to defend the 2nd Amendment. I promise to protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

I hope each of the hunters who read this enjoy the venison for the holidays.

Thanks,

Andy

No comments: