Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, November 26, 2007

Exclusive News From Salisbury News


The 2008 4th of July almost slipped past us again, believe it or not.

The Salisbury Jaycees will assist whoever takes takes on the 4th of July event but
they will not lead the event in 2008.

Considering 4th of July falls on a Friday on 2008, Fireworks Companies are already booked for this coming 4th of July.

I was contacted by the company that has held this event for the Jaycees in the past, (Bay Fireworks) letting me know that we had only days to commit before they would have to schedule 4th of July elsewhere. The owner, Mike Ash, respected my personal wishes by keeping me informed as to every one's intent this coming year and before the event was lost, we have agreed to keep it scheduled for 2008.

Now don't go giving me any credit for this because I am just the middle man. The CREDIT for the 2008 4th of July Fireworks will go to County Executive Rick Pollitt. I called Rick as son as I received the message from Mike Ash and Rick said, "We're never going to lose the 4th of July again." That being said, Rick and Mike will work out the details and everyone can rest easy knowing the celebration has been saved.

Where the event will be held is still up in the air. There are 4 options on the table at the moment and I'm sure the one that makes the most sense traffic wise will be the place to hold the event.

So Thank You In Advance, Mr. Pollitt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to see where this type of expenditure is authorized under the County Charter. This is the role of private organizations, not government!

Anonymous said...

If the county wants to sponser it they should go in with the Hebron Fire Department for the fire works. Hebron FD put on an excellent show last year that out did the Jaycees and Shorebirds by far.

Tim Chaney said...

Just from reading the post. Rick didn't say where the money was coming from, just that the event wouldn't be forgotten next year. There is plenty of time for donations and other community support.

If Rick says it will happen, I would bet on it~!