Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Hank Steinbrenner, Yankees co-owner, dead at 63

Hank Steinbrenner, general partner and co-chairperson of the Yankees, died early Tuesday morning at his Clearwater, Fla., residence due to a long-standing health issue surrounded by family members.

According to a source, the cause of death was not COVID-19.

The 63-year-old Steinbrenner was in his 13th year as general partner and 11th as co-chairperson.

“Hank was a genuine and gentle spirit who treasured the deep relationships he formed with those closest to him,” the Steinbrenner family said in a statement. “He was introduced to the Yankees organization at a very young age, and his love for sports and competition continued to burn brightly throughout his life. Hank could be direct and outspoken, but in the very same conversation show great tenderness and light-heartedness. More than anything, he set an example for all of us in how comfortably he lived enjoying his personal passions and pursuits. We are profoundly saddened to have lost him and will carry his memory with us always.”

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That’s crazy! I didn’t know anyone was capable of dying for other medical reasons these days! I thought COVID-19 is the only way you can die now. I’m learning I guess. I hope my wife doesn’t put a pillow over my face while I sleeping during this quarantine. But hey if she does, I am sure the pillow case threads will have traces of Corona on it and she will walk free.

Anonymous said...

Who cares about George Steinbrenner.

Anonymous said...

It's not George, it's one of his sons, Hank.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
It's not George, it's one of his sons, Hank.

April 16, 2020 at 8:13 AM

Yeah, I saw that, let me rephrase.

Who cares about any Steinbrenner or the Yankees.