Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, September 01, 2019

Chick-fil-a vs Popeyes (Funny read)

Sharilyn Pettus
I need to repent. I was tempted by the false prophet’s chicken, and hope my testimony will help others from going down this path of sin. I saw the ads, the viral videos, the claims of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen chicken sandwich overthrowing our holiest of grails Chick-fil-A. I am ashamed to admit that, not only did I give into the temptation, but also brought Lauren Hawkins down this dark and fruitless path.

We decided to get a chicken sandwich and fries from both Popeyes and Chick-fil-A to compare. Lauren went to Popeyes as there is a restaurant close to her house, and I went to Chick-fil-A for the same reason. Lauren arrived at Popeyes at 12:53pm and was met by a line wrapped all the way around the building and into the road. We both expected there would be a long wait but the sandwich would be worth it....what a terrible mistake. At 1:22pm she finally made it to the screen to order. She was met by a nameless employee who sounded as if she spends her free time daydreaming of ways to trap the entire city of Nashville inside her Popeyes store and then burn it all to the ground. Said nameless employee then informs Lauren that they are currently out of chicken sandwiches, fries, apple pies and all sauces except Buffalo. She orders chicken fingers with buffalo sauce, Mac and cheese and a large sweet tea. At 1:34pm she arrives at the pickup window where said employee halfway throws the food into her car window, and hands her a medium sweet tea (not the ordered large). 39 total minutes of wait time for not a single thing she actually came for.



At 12:56pm I log onto my Chick-fil-A mobile app and enter my order of a spicy chicken sandwich with Chick-fil-A sauce, fries, Mac and cheese (because those hardworking individuals heard us mention once that adding a comfort food like Mac and cheese to their menu sure would be nice, so they created a secret recipe and had it available in all stores 9 business days later) and a large sweet tea. At 1:03pm, I pull into a designated mobile app parking spot and hit the “prepare order” button on my app. Exactly 2 minutes and 53 seconds later, a lovely, respectful young woman named Anna came straight to my car, smiled and asked me if I was “Miss Sharilyn”. She handed me my food, which I’m sure she and her coworkers formed a circle around and prayed over before cooking, and my large drink. She told me to have a wonderful day and be careful driving home. My food was double-bagged only to make it easier for me to carry. I didn’t even check to see if my order was correct because all Chick-fil-A employees across the country have already earned my trust.

Lauren and I meet up to find that our Chick-fil-A order is 100% correct and Popeyes not only ruined our day, but also forgot the Buffalo sauce - the only sauce they claimed to have in stock. The only item we could really compare was the Mac and cheese, since Popeyes was sold out of their entire menu. I can confirm that the Chick-fil-A white cheddar Mac and cheese made with real butter is far superior to the Popeyes boxed, velveeta, “I made this when I was hammered at 3am” Mac and cheese.

We, as a nation, should never, ever question Chick-fil-A’s authority ever again. I would like to publicly apologize to Jesus, Anna and all Chick-fil-A employees and franchise owners for this day of backsliding. I have learned my lesson and will never step out on you again, Chick-fil-A. For the record, Chick-fil-A is better than Popeyes, even on Sundays.

Proverbs 28:13, “He who covers his sins will not prosper, but whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.”




Status Update: We still ain’t eatin’ this Mac.

 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

They do run a tight ship.

Anonymous said...

Have had similar experiences with these two restaurants, especially the missing food. Side note: guarantee Anna was cute as a button.

Anonymous said...

Love Chick-fil-A and the commercials are even great.

Anonymous said...

Popeyes in salisbury is absolutely horrible--they need to go away

Anonymous said...

Popeyes all the way.... there chicken sandwich IS better... plus sides like beans and rice, mash taters and gravy, green beans... come on.

Ya'll are letting political opinions skew what your taste buds are telling you.

I don't agree with Chick Fil-A politics, but they do make some good waffle fries... will eat there again. But given the choice... Popeyes all the way.

Anonymous said...

7:23 AM - At the very least they need to get a corporate cheerleader in there to tighten up their business model, including showing their staff what consistently acceptable customer service is about. Some of their employees are in the groove, but most of them are not.

Anonymous said...

7:42
I don't know about Popeyes chicken sandwhich but I do prefer their chicken over KFC. I like the nuggets at chick fil a also. For some reason their sandwiches just don't agree with me. I miss their cole slaw and I prefer KFC's cole slaw over Popeyes.

Anonymous said...

Popeyes Competition - Salisbury's Worst: North vs South
Motto: "fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me."
Do the two still exist???

Anonymous said...

9:23
We never had a problem with the North end store, but that South end, wow just wow! After totally screwing up an easy order twice we haven't been back there in years. I hear nothing has changed.

Anonymous said...

Popeyes at Salisbury North is the best!!

Anonymous said...

Salisbury south - take a look at who is behind the counter taking your order - probably reason for total screw up.

Anonymous said...

Last Thursday night the North Salisbury Popeyes was out of the chicken sandwich but they did have a sign posted so you would know before you got to the window to order.
On Saturday we stopped at the Popeye’s in Princess Anne which had a short line in the drive thru.
My friend and I both got the new chicken sandwich. I LOVED IT. I thought it was definitely better and bigger than Chick-Fil-A. My friend did not agree as she thinks Chick-Fil-A has the better sandwich. My next taste test will be comparing the Popeye spicy sandwich with Cajun sauce compared to my favorite spicy chicken sandwich at Wendy’s.
The man at the window in Princess Anne was a supervisor of four stores helping out and keeping things running smoothly. Two things I used to order from Chick-Fil-A were the coleslaw and the chicken salad sandwich. They dropped both off of their menu. One reason they gave was being more health conscious. Now they have mac and cheese.....
it’s all about what children will want to eat!

Anonymous said...

7:42 ya’ll? I doubt very seriously anyone is choosing to eat at Chik fil a for political reasons 🙄😂 But apparently you do cause you and I both know you’re only eating at Popeyes cause you hate everything chik fil a stands for. You’re fooling no one but yourself.

Anonymous said...

the LAST time that I went to Popeyes south...no one was at the counter...someone was buttering bisquits in the back...waited and no one ever came...also the menu board was blinking off and on...as I left the store, I noticed one of the staff sleeping with head down at a customer table...never again...love Chik fil-A