Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 05, 2018

I Covered Crime in Maryland in the ’80s. I Never Heard of Teen Gang-Rape Parties.

“Oh, I think everyone in the county remembers these parties,” Julie Swetnick says with a smile during her nationally televised interview.

Um, not me, Julie.

I had my first job as a reporter in Montgomery County, Maryland, at the time Swetnick claims Brett Kavanaugh and other teenage boys routinely were drugging and gang-raping girls at a series of house parties in the county, which adjoins Washington, D.C.

In fact, I worked for the Gaithersburg Gazette, in a newsroom about a mile south of Gaithersburg High School, where Swetnick graduated in 1980. (I was a 1973 graduate of Magruder High, a rival of Gaithersburg High.)

I got a full-time job as a reporter at the widely distributed Gazette after graduating from George Washington University in 1979 and doing an internship there the previous summer. I covered Gaithersburg and Rockville city governments, including the city councils and agencies such as the police departments. (Rockville is the Montgomery County seat.)

I never heard word one about teen parties where girls routinely were sexually assaulted, much less where gang rapes were on the agenda, as Swetnick claims of gatherings attended by Kavanaugh, now President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bad things happen to stupid women. Let this be a lesson to all young ladies out there to actually act like young ladies, lest you fall prey to the big bad wolves out there.

Anonymous said...

I heard of it happening in this area during that time period but it wasn't teens. It was "bar age" people.