Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 05, 2018

Sen. Flake, I Was Assaulted by a Stranger. Here's Why I Want Kavanaugh Confirmed.

This letter was sent Oct. 2 to Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz.

Dear Senator,

The issues of rape and sexual assault are not abstract concepts for me. In 1996 while pregnant with my first child, I was assaulted by a stranger on my morning run near my home in Northern Virginia. His intent was to rape me, but thanks to a good Samaritan who heard my screams and came quickly to assist me, I was spared the pain so many other women have endured.

Sexual exploitation is also one of Concerned Women for America Legislative Action Committee’s (CWALAC) seven core issues, and many of our supporters have shared their personal and emotional stories of sexual assault with me.

I recently shared their concerns as I testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee in support of the Debbie Smith Act reauthorization, advocating for improvements that can help us bring even more effective help to victims of abuse. I dedicated an entire chapter of my book “Feisty and Feminine” to the topic, and I have written countless op-eds advocating for victims.

I share all this to strongly suggest a deep divide exists between many members of the #MeToo movement and those who wish to politicize and weaponize it for their own purposes. I fear that the circus around Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation under the veil of helping victims of sexual abuse is demeaning to victims and will have lasting, damaging impact on the seriousness of our cause going forward.

Make no mistake; we must stand squarely on the side of victims of sexual assault and hear their pain, but we must also embrace the principle of a presumption of innocence for every man and woman.

As much as we would like to believe women, we learned the hard way from the Duke lacrosse case, Rolling Stone’s UVA, and others the reason justice must remain blind to all immutable characteristics, including gender. The idea of supporting women and blind justice are completely compatible, and if we fail to recognize either, we will hurt our efforts to combat sexual exploitation.

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most people don't realize justice kavanaugh is a champion of property rights something we don't have may of in Maryland because of liberal policies like crazy environmental rules.

Anonymous said...

This letter is from an obviously strong and rational fair minded person. She is the kind of person who should be an inspiration to all women; not the loud mouth obscenity laced vitriol laden people who "get in the face" of people they don't like.

Anonymous said...

Notice how everyone is a sexual assault victim now

Anonymous said...

A strange dog just humped my leg. I want justice. I don't remember what color it was or where it went or what time it happened or how I found my way home.