Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Your body might thank you for that (one) glass of red… says DR MICHAEL MOSLEY

I was delighted to read a study last week which claimed that drinking red wine could cut my risk of developing prostate cancer.

I was particularly pleased as I'm over 60, with a family history of prostate cancer (my dad had it), which puts me in a higher risk category.

Plus I like red wine – which you may remember is allowed in moderation as part of the New 5:2 Diet, on days where you are not fasting.

The study, which was actually a pull-together of 17 previous studies covering more than 600,000 men, concluded that drinking a glass of red wine a night reduces your risk by of developing prostate cancer by about 12 per cent. Which isn't a lot, but still good news.

The bad news was that drinking white wine appeared to raise the risk. Why the difference?

More

No comments: