Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

How Quitting Facebook Helped Relieve My Depression And Made Me A Better Friend

Social media can help foster friendships and keep us connected to loved ones. When people insisted it couldn’t replace face-to-face, in-person conversation, I scoffed, responding with anecdotes of how many of my friends needed it to keep in touch when the military moved them from place to place.

When folks warned that social media was likely exacerbating my depression, I shook my head, pointing to my support just a click away. When my husband suggested I spent too much time on my accounts and should consider deactivating, I insisted I needed the outlet for an escape from the stress of work and home, of life in general.

But no more. I’m over it. I’m done.

My husband had indeed been encouraging me to consider ditching social media — Facebook specifically — for years, especially after my postpartum depression. But he would always concede when I gave the above reasons for needing to stay.

Then one day my depression hit a new low, sending my mind whirling with thoughts of driving my car off an overpass to spare my family the hassle of having me failing them all the time. I realized something had to give.

More here

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Facebook sucks. Especially Facebook Messenger. For all of you who contact me via Messenger, be aware that I delete the messages before reading.

Anonymous said...

Who cares what you delete or do not delete. I’m willing to bet that nobody reading your post does.

Anonymous said...

And for you I submit that every facet of your life is precious only to yourself, and even less than that because you require validation by others. Spreading it around willy-nilly wastes everyone's time and bores the snot out of most, save your Grandma (who will eventually succumb to the boredom) and BFFs who have the same amount of social clues and desperate needs for attention as you.

lmclain said...

Even Facebook techs say their product is dangerous to your psyche.
3:13 nailed it.
No one give a crap about when you get back from the grocery store or what new veggie you want to try.
Narcissism. Cultivated.
That always works out well.

Keep cheering.

Anonymous said...

Is it any wonder really ?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this article.