Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, November 10, 2017

Undoing the Dis-Education of Millennials

I teach in a law school. For several years now my students have been mostly Millennials. Contrary to stereotype, I have found that the vast majority of them want to learn. But true to stereotype, I increasingly find that most of them cannot think, don’t know very much, and are enslaved to their appetites and feelings. Their minds are held hostage in a prison fashioned by elite culture and their undergraduate professors.

They cannot learn until their minds are freed from that prison. This year in my Foundations of Law course for first-year law students, I found my students especially impervious to the ancient wisdom of foundational texts, such as Plato’s Crito and the Code of Hammurabi. Many of them were quick to dismiss unfamiliar ideas as “classist” and “racist,” and thus unable to engage with those ideas on the merits. So, a couple of weeks into the semester, I decided to lay down some ground rules. I gave them these rules just before beginning our annual unit on legal reasoning.

Here is the speech I gave them.

More

Publishers Notes: This is brilliant. Now let's see how many of you click on more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My concern would be that the indoctrination is so intense that no tools (available in their minds) are present to deal with the processes the author describes. Most young folks have jumped off the cliff and more concerned about texting.And that bring us to the major problem = the family.

Anonymous said...

The last two sentences are the best.

Anonymous said...

Not all millennials are represented by the goofs described.

Anonymous said...

He said mostly - not all. You must fit in with the mostly millennials because you called him a "goofs described."

lmclain said...

Man. He NAILED them to the wall and ruined their lives.
Half of them (some of the supposedly smartest) have probably already filed a complaint.
They can't stand the truth and really don't want to hear it.
Future leaders.
God help us.