Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, February 05, 2017

A Viewer Writes: Scam on Craig's list

Dear Joe, 

I wanted to share a little scam being attempted off Craig's list.
My dad, who lives in Florida, was helping me look for a decent used car for my son.

What he found was a F150 truck for $2000. It was a deal on a used car too good to be true! 

We got suspicious and realized when we asked for more information - their story wasn't quite right. And that they wanted to do the transaction through eBay.

1st email reply
Sent: Fri, Jan 27, 2017 4:57 pm
Subject: Re: F150 Lariat

Thanks for replying to my ad. I'm selling it because I'm serving in Fort Belvoir, VA but I was promoted and transferred to Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage Alaska for a 3 years period, so I don't need it anymore at this time. Let me give you a few details about it: 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat has only 165,300 miles on it, no accident history, clear title, no dents or dings and no scratches. Always adult driven and garaged, never abused or raced. If you are interested, it's still available for sale and the final price is $2000 .
Transmission - Automatic
Engine - 5.4L 330Cu. In. V8 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated
Fuel type - Gas
Drivetrain - 4WD

2nd email reply
Hi again , as I've told you in my first e-mail, I'm in the army with my military medical team and right now I am in a military base. We are training, getting ready for leaving the country. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay services so my presence isn't necessary. The delivery process will be managed by me. I think I can have it there at your home address within 2-3 working days. It will come with a clear title and reg. You will have 7 days to test and inspect the truck prior to make any purchase. During that 7 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address and phone number), so we can get the ball rolling.Here you have more pics with The Ford https://myalbum.com/album/YNsEoBHD92O3
VIN 1FTPW14594KC22863

This is a Google search I did about scams with military cars & eBay.
http://www.katylee.com/hblog/2008/01/13/used-car-buying-scam-from-military-personnel/

This is from eBay itself
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Motors/Craigslist-Scams-and-Fraudulent-Use-of-Vehicle-Purchase/td-p/1445320

From craigslist
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Please just call me MommaM

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone needs to shut craigslist down .. there has been the Craigslist murders scams and other murders from Craigslist ! Shut it Down! No more Craigslist ! Shut it down !

Anonymous said...

Some troll is trying to rent out homes for sale in this area on craigslist also. I contacted one of the homeowners thru facebook to ask if it was a scam and they said yes. He says he is in texas and to just drive by the house and decide if you want it and he will sent you the application thru email.

I didnt answer him and thought it was wonderful that the actual homeowner replied to my inquiry.

Anonymous said...

This is a common scam on Craigslist, that's why they post warnings right up front when you enter the site. You should read them, they are only one sentence long. Hard for many, but still possible to do. Never pay until you are holding the product in the local PD parking lot is the best advice.

Unknown said...

Doesn't look like a deal to me. Too old and too many miles.

Anonymous said...

I called out a scammer after i posted a car and he then flagged me as a scammer then started to phish me.

Anonymous said...

I was watching a show on pbs about family roots and dna guess who bill orielly is a 3 rd cousin to ? BILL MAHYER .

Anonymous said...

Way too good to be true.

Anonymous said...

8:22 Is you the old person that still writes checks at the register and holds up the entire checkout process while writing all the info down in that little book thing?

Anonymous said...

Only reply two a Craigslist ad that has a phone number that is spelled out and words and with some numbers they are usually the real ones

Anonymous said...

with that many miles and that old its way to high

Anonymous said...

12:12 yes this is me. I do it because I am smart enough to do it. I can do math in my head unlike your generation that utterly depends on computers to live your lives. Enjoy that selfie you just took.

Anonymous said...

7:06 - I believe the first words of 12:12's statement speak volumes - "IS you the old person..." Schools are too busy teaching liberal politics to instruct in proper grammar.

Anonymous said...

I did this and i still got bs sms texts.

Anonymous said...

Ive been buying stuff of there for years you no its a scam when they talk about military or over seas or wanna use paypal or ask for your name address etc common sense

Anonymous said...

was on craiglist looking for summer rental all kinds of scammers on there

Anonymous said...

I got the same message when I inquired about a vehicle, thought the price was too good, so I asked about it,and received that same message I deleted it and moved on, because I could tell it was a scam.
Then I went to Cars Today in Princess Anne and they knowingly sold me a Lemon and lied about it and will not take it back like they said they would hasn't even been a month yet. Stuck with paying for a car that will eventually leave us stranded, to make matters worse it is only a few yrs old with low miles another example of too good to be true!