Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, January 26, 2017

#OscarsSoWhite Crisis Averted: Record Number of Black Actors Nominated

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has learned its lesson after last year's drubbing by social justice warriors. From Variety:

After last year’s nominations spawned #OscarsSoWhite, all eyes were on the Academy Award nominations Tuesday – and in stark contrast to 2016, this year proved to be a much stronger year for diversity, both in front of and behind the camera.

While no actors of color were nominated the last two years, this year saw every acting category recognizing a person of color. A record-tying (with 2007) seven minority actors were recognized, including a record-setting six black actors.

The quality of nominated work is not addressed by the article. That is because #OscarsSoWhite -- like so much racial rhetoric -- has nothing whatsoever to do with merit.

More

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you go with quotas over quality, you end up with what we've been experiencing for the last 8 years.

This and many other reasons have me NOT watching any of these mutual admiration society award meetings!

Anonymous said...

LOL.... Imagine that....Whine whine whine last year and amazingly....They get nominations this year!!!! Give all the snowflakes a trophy!!!! TRUMP DAY! YEAH!!!

Anonymous said...

If a liberal is involved than racism is involved.

Anonymous said...

This makes me think of my school days. We had students that didn't get top honors when we had a spelling contest. Seemed like they couldn't spell their own name. Lot's of competition in view of everyone. I was probably average in my opinion. Some did well, some didn't. Some were recognized for a good job while some for failure. What I'm getting at is some that did poorly, have succeeded much better in life financially and some that you thought were never going to amount to anything did awesome. Some even quit school and did well in their own business. I'm not suggesting don't get the education, I wish I had gotten more just for my personal being. I keep in touch with many and don't know of anyone that was harmed by being embarrassed or scolded by teachers in front of peers. We are harming the population today by being too easy or nice.

Anonymous said...

I just won 100 bucks from a bet I made with my buddy. I said next year it will be black winners across the boards. Too funny. Oh and she will never pay me either.

Anonymous said...

The movies and actors which have been nominated would probably have been nominated in any year.

Anonymous said...

Bunch of damn cry babies - oh no, I didn't get nominated so I'm going to call it racism. Give it a break. If you earn the award you'll get it, if not, you won't get nominated, easy as that. Work harder. But no, we have to baby the cry babies and give them an award just because they are black. SO VERY WRONG

Anonymous said...

Never watch them anyway

Anonymous said...

These movies had been in the works for over a year. Well before any reaction from last year.

Anonymous said...

Affirmative action alive and well.

Anonymous said...


Haven't watched in eons; now I guess I'll be a ....ist of some sort for ignoring the whole production.