Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, January 29, 2017

A Viewer Writes: Comcast scammer in Salisbury?

Hi Joe,

I am perplexed by a recent situation....on Thursday night while I was at work, a Comcast van pulled into my driveway and a guy got out and talked to my son. He explained that he was there to "confiscate" our Internet equipment because our bill was late. (And it IS late) My son said no way, my Mom will pay it... But this is the strange part, he told my son that he would "leave it on" IF I would call him directly and pay with my credit card. 

I had never heard of paying a Comcast Tech directly by calling his personal cell. After I thought about it, and after the same guy called me the following day soliciting my card number, that's when I called Comcast. The person I got on the phone said that it is not their policy to do that, yet they have no answer as to how this person had my info, and that they hadn't sent him to my house let alone allowing him to be soliciting payment by credit card! Please look into this for me, I hope no one else has given this guy their info. Let them be warned!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

They just turn your account off...No need to confiscate ur equipment.... They'll bill u for the equipment if u don't return it...

Jim said...

There was a guy that showed up at my house about 6 years ago claiming to be from Comcast and wanting to hook something up for free. He was very persistent (and big). I told him no 3 or 4 times, but he kept it up.
I thought I was going to have to shove him down the stairs.

Be careful.

Anonymous said...

Concast and Mediacon are on there way out! WI FI streaming is going to put cable providers out of business.

Anonymous said...

To 1:11.
How does Wi-Fi streaming work? Where will the signal come from if not from a cable company?

Anonymous said...

Exactly. So why was he really there? To case the house to rob it, to get a credit card number? Comcast doesn't sound very concerned it seems. Maybe something the Sheriff's Depth should be aware of.

Anonymous said...

Just pay your bills on time or give up the cable.

Anonymous said...

2:35...seriously?

Anonymous said...

Comcast doesn't "confiscate equipment", when you're too far past due they turn off your service. If you go to collections they add the cost of the equipment to your bill. (so they can charge you $300 for a box that costs them $30) You have to take the equipment TO THEM to get it off your bill.

Futhermore, you would call an 800# to pay your bill, and then give you a confirmation # to tell the tech (which again he wouldn't be there anyway) or would just update the field notes that it's satisfied.

Perhaps if you have non-addressable boxes (really old, doubtful) they they would put a block device on the outside pole or building, again they would not confront you.

You were right to be suspicious.

Anonymous said...

Could be an employee trying to scam customers

Anonymous said...

1:11 you are officially an idiot.

Anonymous said...

You should Try BlooSurf it a internet company in salisbury...they charge $45 a month and is pretty good. I stream from Netflix and Hulu... Saving $$$

Anonymous said...

I don't like when they show up out of the blue to fix an issue you are not aware of...If that's a policy it seems unprofessional.

Anonymous said...

Maybe someone has a van painted exactly like com cast.

Anonymous said...

Do you think this about the bill not being paid? They don't come to your house for that. He was obviously there for something else.

Anonymous said...

You can barely get them to come out on a scheduled appointment let alone some other time. Obviously a scam. If you see someone doing this call the cops on them.

Anonymous said...

How was your service for the 2 weeks it took them to fix the tower in Hebron BC of a lightning strike? My wired internet worked fine while your wireless was not working. Direct hard wire is more reliable.

Anonymous said...

I'd be suspicious. Sounds like he is up to no good. Years ago my cousin was raped by a man who crawled through her window. I'd be wary.,

Anonymous said...

8:35 you shouldn't talk to the owner of bloosurf like that, he was just trying to give his business some free advertising 😂😂