Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Berlin Coffee House closing as owner decides to retire

After seven years of running what was, for many in Berlin, the coffee shop where “everybody knows your name,” 68-year-old Peggy Hagy is retiring at the end of this year.

When it opened in 2009, the Berlin Coffee House on 17 Jefferson Street filled a major void in a town that had yet to be properly caffeinated.

Hagy, who operated the shop with her son, Jason, aimed to remedy that. A Baltimore native, Hagy and her family moved to the area in the early 1980’s. At the time, she was working as a graphic arts director.

Her road to becoming a respected barista and businesswoman was nontraditional, to say the least.

“When Gannett was buying up all the papers in town, I was working for The Independent and I thought, ‘this is getting nuts,’” she said. “So I quit. And I ended up working for Kate Patton when she had the Globe in 2000. I’d never done food service and it was a ton of fun – I totally enjoyed myself.”

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story.
The good back-story is the generosity, compassion, and yes, business sense, of John Fager and the rise of Berlin MD.

Anonymous said...

I will miss this Coffee House and Peggy for sure. Very nice lady.