Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Hillary Clinton's firearms falsehoods

Contrary to her denials, she would abolish the Second Amendment

Donald Trump keeps calling his Democratic opponent “Lyin’ Hillary,” and poll after poll shows that though most voters might shy away from Mr. Trump’s blunt characterization of Hillary Clinton, they share his belief that the lady cannot really be trusted or believed. Her penchant for, well, lying was on display last week in Philadelphia even as she tried to assure those watching that she can, in fact, be trusted.

Mrs. Clinton looked into the cameras during her acceptance speech at Philadelphia’s Democratic National Convention last Thursday and said with a straight face, “I’m not here to repeal the Second Amendment. I’m not here to take away your guns.” Those words were a response to Donald Trump’s assertion in speaking to the National Rifle Association in Louisville, Ky., earlier this summer that if elected, Mrs. Clinton would “abolish the Second Amendment.” Based on her earlier statements on the issue, it was a lie.

The sentence also echoed President Obama’s assertion during both his 2008 and 2012 campaigns that he is a “believer” in the Second Amendment who would “never take your pistol, shotgun or rifle.” His words were meant to reassure America’s gun owners, Second Amendment supporters, hunters and sport shooters that they had nothing to fear. It worked to a degree because prior to the beginning of his second term he hadn’t posed much of a threat to their rights; he was too busy doing other things and didn’t want to risk an anti-firearms crusade before being re-elected.

More

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of us who have a brain realize that this election will be fixed and rigged to the point of a Hillary success . I certainly hope not , but it cannot be avoided with her and obama's reputation. If this happens , revolution that will be larger than the civil war. All the kings bullets that he purchased will not do him a bit of good. Stock up on your food and water people America will rise again.

Anonymous said...

Vote for the HildaBeast - and prepare to relinquish all your guns!

Anonymous said...

If Hillary Clinton is elected, you can kiss your guns goodbye! You can kiss the Constitution goodbye as well!

Anonymous said...

Dear 8:16
You have to understand the mentality older gun owners and patriots . If she is elected and tries to take my guns (notice I said try) it will start the shot heard round the world. I'm up there in age and pretty set in my ways , my ways are all lawful and I believe in our constitution and bill of rights . I have only one media that I believe is the truth , it is this blog. Most people I talk with consider me a radical , I don't think that living by my standards is radical. I think people who attack and kill the police are radical , I think big government is radical , My way of of living is not technical , it is very easy to obey the law and of course it is the right thing to do. How can it be so hard to have rules or law? The lawyers and judges twist and turn around all laws to suit their pockets.
Anyway , like I said , my guns will stay with me at all cost. Welcome to the largest army in the world NRA and right winged Christians .

Anonymous said...

Many of you don't understand , if Trump is elected , his first 4 years he will be shoveling the $hit that obama has created. Don't worry about your guns , they will be safe.

Anonymous said...

Hilla the hund will have her guns.

Anonymous said...

Dave T: Sorry to be critical and picky, but this article is poorly written, in my opinion. The lead is heavier than the Titanic and takes a century before making a real point and getting to the real issue of gun control. I'm a real 2A supporter, and I'm disappointed to have to search for the reason behind the story. My message to its author - get your act together ! This is a draft, not final copy! And this issue is far too important to be second rate. I understand deadline pressure, but that is no excuse.

Anonymous said...

8:37 you are correct. I've never committed a crime of any kind. My house is paid for, my business is paid for, my children are gone and doing well. If they come to take them I'm going to have to say no. That's my line in the sand.

Anonymous said...

A vote for H is a vote for open borders and the resulting lawlessness is something few even want to think about due to it's certainty if IT is elected!