Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Amid Long Voting Lines And Claims Of A 'Rigged System,' Does My Vote Matter?

This week, NPR and some member stations will be talking about what the 2016 primary season has revealed about voters' confidence in the American electoral system.

This year's primaries have been filled with complaints about the voting process. Voters in Arizona were furious that they had to wait up to five hours to cast ballots. Thousands of New Yorkers had their names mistakenly dropped from voter registration rolls.

Republican candidate Donald Trump called his party's nominating system "rigged." Bernie Sanders said the Democrats' nominating system was "dumb."

More

7 comments:

Anonymous said...


I support Trump, but this is not something only he suddenly came up with.
I have felt that way for many elections ago. I've felt like my vote didn't count, but I couldn't stay home and not vote.

Anonymous said...

I feel much the same as 7:30. I have to vote, but I wonder if that vote even makes it to the tally.
I don't trust the voting system, especially touch screen or other computer-type machines that can (and have been) rigged. A pencil and a piece of paper should be a ballot and way to mark it.

Anonymous said...

Thinking that one's vote doesn't matter for whatever reason and staying home instead of voting is why we have the government that we do.

Anonymous said...

Dont worry, its an NPR story. I'm sure they'll find a way to say that you vote counts if its a Hillary Vote. I hope the first thing Trump does is defund those bastards.

Anonymous said...

You vote does not matter at the national level.

Anonymous said...

vote!! if you vote, regardless of outcome, you have earned the right to complain...

Anonymous said...

Na, if you really believe that then stay home. Thank you.