Optometrists have warned parents not to consider laser pointers as toys after a Tasmanian teenager caused permanent damage to his eyes by looking into one.
Hobart optometrist Ben Armitage received a call on Monday from a GP asking him to investigate why the 14-year-old boy was having vision problems.
"He came into see me and on the Friday night he'd got hold of a laser pen and unfortunately shined it in his eyes for a very brief period of time," he said.
"Unfortunately he's managed to cause himself permanent damage to the back of his eye."
Photographs of the boy's eyes show laser burns to his each of his retinas.