Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Md. woman works to preserve Enchanted Forest memories

 

ELLICOTT CITY, Md. — One of America’s first theme parks was in the D.C. region — and two of its roadside remnants will soon be moved.

Disneyland opened in July 1955; the Enchanted Forest, in Ellicott City, Maryland, followed just one month later.

The Enchanted Forest closed in the ‘80s, and the rest of the property was turned into a shopping center. Many of the attractions were fenced off behind the shopping center’s stores, but that hasn’t kept people from visiting the ruins tucked away in the woods.

The castle-shaped park entrance and the sign that looks like a storybook still stand proudly along Route 40, but in the next month or so, they will be moved.

More

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my parents taking me to that place when I was small. Looking at the remnants when I visit Ellicott City is sad. Hopefully they can put Humpty back together again.

USMCRetired said...

I hope that as much of the "Enchanted Forest" can be preserved. I am 57 years old and I can remember my family going to this theme park as a small child. A lot of memories and a historic piece of Maryland. I am grateful that their are still people who still remember and want to preserve such landmarks.

USMCRetired said...

I hope that as much of the "Enchanted Forest" can be preserved. I am 57 years old and I can remember my family going to this theme park as a small child. A lot of memories and a historic piece of Maryland. I am grateful that their are still people who still remember and want to preserve such landmarks.

Anonymous said...

I went somewhere in Md and rode on either the oldest merry go round in the country or one of the oldest.So long ago I've forgotten where it was.

Anonymous said...

3:37
Trimpers? It could also have been the one at Cabin John Regional Park or Glen Echo Park

Anonymous said...

3:37-There was also Gwynn Oak Amusement park just over the northwest baltimore city line. I don't think Enchanted Forest had a merry go round but Gwynn Oak did.

Anonymous said...

Bingo 3:53-It was Glen Echo Park.Thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

Lots of great memories visiting the Enchanted Forest, Glen Echo park ( the carosel is still there ), Marshall Hall and Chesapeake Beach.

Anonymous said...

I took my kids there in 1989.I was closed. we found an opening in the fence and we went there

Anonymous said...

i remeber going there in 1965. i was 5. it's was prety neat, as a little kid, to see all that.