(Salisbury, MD) This year Halloween falls on a Friday, which is exciting but can be dangerous as more people will be out and about on the roads. To enjoy a safe and fun Halloween experience, the WicomicoCounty Health Department offers these tips:
- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective which can easily be seen at night. Carry flash lights or glow sticks to increase visibility.
- Use safety tested face make-up instead of masks so children can see better. Ensure that costumes fit snugly to reduce the risk of tripping.
- Never go Trick or Treating alone; always go in a group in known and safe areas. Never enter houses for treats.
- Stay on sidewalks and only cross streets at crosswalks after looking both ways. Children should never cross the street unless accompanied by a trusted adult.
- Children should not approach houses alone. Only approach houses that look inviting with a front light on indicating someone is home.
- Children should not eat candy until it has been inspected for safety by a trusted adult. Adults should look for any open wrappers that indicate tampering.
- Be mindful of how much candy children eat. Try to include sugar-free treats or fruit and ration candy out for the days following Halloween.
- Drivers on this night should be cautious of pedestrians in road ways. Drive slowly, follow all road signs and be alert.
Trick or Treating times for children under age 14 in Wicomico County are:
- Salisbury: Friday, October 31st from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Pittsville: Friday, October 31st from 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Delmar: Thursday October 30th from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Salisbury Jaycees Annual Treat Street on the downtown Salisbury Plaza: Friday October 31st from 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm.