Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

7 Qualities Of Remarkably Well-Liked Leaders

I've had my share of leadership challenges over the years.
I'll never forget the time an employee who I called into work brought in the balloons she was tying up for her son's birthday party and decided to start throwing them on the floor of my office. It was a total meltdown. I should have asked a bit more about what she was doing instead of demanding that she come into work. (In my own defense: She probably could have offered up that information on her own.)
I was never a hated a boss, but there were times when my decisions led to employees disagreeing with me, arguing with me, and challenging my thinking.
I wish I had known how to deal with those challenges, but in many ways I just didn't develop these qualities. In recent years, I've met with many company founders and leaders in business, carefully noting what makes them so likeable. Here's what I've found out.

1. They ask detailed questions.

In my example of the employee who came into work and had a big fit, I didn't ask questions about why she wasn't available. Good leaders know how to do that. Before making a command or directing the work force, a good leader asks for more information. That kind of leader is easy to like because we all like passing on information and none of us like dealing with a tyrant who just tells us what to do.

2. They empathize.

One of my challenges as an introvert in leadership had to do with a failure to empathize. I've seen how a friend of mine runs his own business by always asking how people are feeling. How was your evening with the kids? Are you feeling OK about this project? What can I do to make your job easier and not so stressful? He asks about their personal life. Good leaders see employees as people. That creates a chain reaction as employees also recognize that you also have feelings. They will empathize (and like) you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And they DO NOT have Santa Claus syndrome.