Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, February 03, 2014

Proposal To Hike Minimum Wage Raises Objections From Businesses

For Mark Pringle, an increase in the minimum wage would be a maximum hassle.

Pringle’s family owns four Cold Stone Creamery ice cream shops, three in Anne Arundel County.

Spikes in dairy and energy prices in recent years have bitten into Pringle’s profit margins, he said.

He employs 15 to 20, most of whom are either in high school or have just started community college, and most make the state’s current $7.25-an-hour minimum wage.

Pringle said if the state raises that minimum to $10.10 an hour in 2016, as Gov. Martin O’Malley has proposed, it will mean higher pay for nearly his entire staff.
More

4 comments:

JoeAlbero said...

Well here's a unique position I find myself in.

While I had stated the other day you'll NOT find minimum wage jobs on the Western Shore, I stand unfortunately corrected.

I say unfortunately because quite frankly I'm pissed off that ANY company on the Western Shore would have the nerve to only pay the current minimum wage.

I mean, (to me) this is as close to slavery as humanly possible. The cost of living in Anne Arundel County is incredibly high.

Here's a creative idea O'Malley should consider. How about the State consider using the average minimum salary, (without owners pay) and create a color code to be placed in store front windows that shows business owners who PAY MORE than the minimum? It's a simple idea but it sure would mean a LOT to us consumers.

Just food for thought.

Anonymous said...

For the price of Cold Stone's ice cream that is all he pays his employees.....what a joke!!

Anonymous said...

Agreed.. I took my grandsons there ONCE and got "sticker shock" at the register. Never went back.

Anonymous said...

please remember, some "western shore" counties are not large cities and counties. far western is depressed as we are...