Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, December 08, 2013

A Letter To The Editor 12-5-13

To anyone who reads, advertises or supports The Daily Times, you should be aware of their lack of morals and ethics.

My father, Ernest J. Gibbons, Jr. was killed in our company (Tidewater Supply) truck while making deliveries in Accomac, Va. on Thursday, October 10, 2013. I was notified at 10:41 that one of our trucks was in a ditch in Virginia. Our company has 2 trucks; my father drove one, my husband drives the other. I work in the office; it was just us three. At 10:44 I was notified that the driver had been killed. The caller did not go into detail regarding the accident. He did not realize that the driver was my father and was very apologetic. Virginia State Police called around 11:15 to inform me of my father's death. The officer stated that I or someone from the family needed to go to the funeral home to identify him. At 12:33, one of our customers called and asked me if that was my dad that had been killed. They had seen it on Delmarvanow website.

I went to the Daily Times website thinking they had more information regarding the accident. At 11:57, within 45 minutes of me being notified by officials, the Daily Times had NO public information, but they had a GRAPHIC PICTURE and VIDEO of my father, still through the windshield covered with a white sheet. All on display like it was for entertainment purposes. Because of The Daily Times I was unable to go and identify my Daddy, I was in shock at what I saw. I cannot UNSEE that. No one should have to see a family member on display like what the Daily Times did. I didn't have the opportunity to call his sister and brother and inform them, they had to find out that way. The Daily Times is a piece of trash tabloid. I and multiple family members have requested numerous times for them to remove the video and picture to no avail.  

They have removed comments and posted the article on three links. 

THEY ARE UNFORGIVABLE !!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately I'm not surprised by the behavior of The Daily Times.

Anonymous said...

Presumably,before this incident your family nor you personally ever considered anyone unforgiveable.I have lived with people despising me for my entire life.As far as the Daily Times is concerned, that seems to be the norm.Everyone is strongly disliked by someone whether they realize it or not,which equates to being unforgiven.

Anonymous said...

I am also sorry for your loss. What about privacy laws? And pain and suffering? This is completely unacceptable and one of the reasons our business does not advertise with The Daily Times! It is a rag and rag and gossip sheet.

Anonymous said...

So very sorry for the traumatic loss of your father.

I had a similar experience with a final "visual." I spent a lot of time replacing it with happy visuals of my loved one. The bad one still flashes in my head sometimes, but remembering the beauty of my loved one has helped.

God bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

9:12....Huh???

Thank you Joe for posting this for me.

Thank you for your comments. It is hard to not be reminded of these photos. I still question the reason for his accident so two nights ago I went searching for the term truck "pitchpoled" on google not knowing the meaning of the word. I searched images in google and there is that picture, of my father through a windshield, again.

Laurie

Anonymous said...

I am Laurie's cousin. What they did IS unforgivable! To have to see Uncle EJ, Laurie's father, my uncle online that way is completely without morals or feelings for the family. I am angry for what they have done & continue to do.
I love you Laurie,
Missy

Anonymous said...

Joe, Check todays opinion about the times pushing for the fire victoms name in OC. They are completely wrong about the law, as well as the morals that follow. Seriously, start another thread about just how cold, and stupid they are.

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing the picture on delmarvanow the day of the accident. I also remember thinking how horrible it was to show a picture like that from an accident scene, with a person hanging out of the windshield. Prayers to the family, with hope they can find peace.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss and the terrible way inwhich the DT showed total disregard, and disrespect for your loved one just to garner news points.

This paper has completely gone to trash over the years and will never regain the once good reputation they once had.

The only good thing that comes from the Daily Times is the use for cat litter liner.

Anonymous said...


11:24
My cat eventually refused to have anything to do with The Daily Times; that's when I cancelled. She and I are both happier now!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss also.
After my husband passed away I saw mention of his death on Facebook and it felt like a slap in the face. No one thinks about the effects of their comments (news) on the victims loved ones.
They (the families)aren't prepared for that much reality.

Anonymous said...

My sincere condolences for you loss. The Daily Times is such a piece of crap for posting this. There was no consideration for you or your family and how this would make you feel. What a horrible image that you will never be able to forget. They may remove it from their website but once it's online it's there forever.

My father died suddenly. He was with another man and they were riding back in our woods and he was showing him where he could hunt. They rode through my yard and then suddenly an ambulance showed up. When I went to the house he was lying on the floor in full cardiac arrest and they were performing CPR. I will never ever forget that image. I try not to think about it. It does come in my mind from time to time. The reason that I tell you this story is that I know my father is in Heaven looking down on us. He wouldn't want me to dwell on it. As time moves forward you start remembering the times he made you laugh and how much he loved you. That image will fade with time. Just try and give it some time.

I know that it is a different situation, but the hope that I can give you is that remembering him as your Dad will help ease your pain...and not that dreadful picture. The Daily Times is such a piece of sh@t for doing this to your family. I hope that with time your wounds will begin to heal. Prayers to you and your family. Daily Times I wish you would just go under...straight to hell.

Anonymous said...

The only thing a bully responds to is push back when their trash at the top editors are in the line of fire. Expose them personally just like they did to this private citizens family. Don't count on the D Times to report one of their own, put this forum might be the right place.