Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Obamacare Trade-Off: Low Premium, High Deductible

WASHINGTON (AP) — You might be pleased with the low monthly premium for one of the new health insurance plans under President Barack Obama's overhaul, but the added expense of copayments and deductibles could burn a hole in your wallet.

An independent analysis released Wednesday, on the heels of an administration report emphasizing affordable premiums, is helping to fill out the bottom line for consumers.

The annual deductible for a mid-range "silver" plan averaged $2,550 in a sample of six states studied by Avalere Health, or more than twice the typical deductible in employer plans. A deductible is the amount consumers must pay each year before their plan starts picking up the bills.

More

4 comments:

lmclain said...

Very similiar to the Wal-Mart health plan...you have it, but you just can't afford to use it. Who makes money? The insurance companies and the government. You just tough it out or die. Which, I think, was the plan all along. Health care costs are going DOWN? Not for anyone working for a living....

Anonymous said...

Being self employed, I pay for my own health insurance and my current deductible is 1250.00 a month with a monthly premium of over $600.00 a month. I am sure with Obamacare that will go up even more (both premium and deductible) so now for sure I CANT ever get sick. It's pretty sickening when I see all the "HAVE NOTS" getting everything paid for when I am watching every nickel I spend to keep afloat! The liberals/dems don't like those who have anything however, I am sure the GREAT Obama and his cronies will have the best coverage available!

Anonymous said...

don't worry. once it "kicks" in you'll love it. ...the "one"

Anonymous said...

Heck, me and my wife already have a 2,500 deductible thru BCBS.

And then they only pay 80% of a bill. Now if we only had to pay for the quality of care, it would be much, much less. At least here on the shore anyway.

Health care on the shore, and most of the "professionals" associated with it, are far below stellar.

Even some of the doctors would barely qualify for third world practices.

More than once have I gotten up and walked out of doctor offices because I would not let them touch me.

And when nurses bring in a needle or anything else that is not still sealed, I will keep sending you out and bringing one that is still sealed.

And wash your freaking hands.