Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Md. Farmers Hoping Stink Bugs Aren’t As Bad As In 2010; Thurmont Farm Serving As Test Case

THURMONT, Md. — Farmers cope with unpredictable weather patterns that often affect their bottom lines, but the people whose job it is to feed Americans and, in some cases, the world, also must contend with pests.

Orchardist Robert Black is hoping the brown marmorated stink bugs will not appear this year in numbers farmers experienced in 2010.

“I just wish we don’t get anything like we had in 2010,” when the winged creatures severely damaged crops and gardens, said Black, president of Catoctin Mountain Orchard in Thurmont. “Everybody had a little damage last year, but it was nothing like 2010.” 

 More

3 comments:

Shawn said...

If you get stinkbugs bad this year there is a great video on youtube for building a stinkbug trap that only costs 7 bucks. You need a light and an empty 2 liter bottle and a few other items commonly found at hardware stores, reports coming in from friends who have stick bugs bad on the western shore is that it works good.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Shawn-I'll look it up. I've noticed quite a few dead ones already in my bedroom near the window.

Anonymous said...

I found one when I was refueling my car recently laying inside the opening of the door that opens when getting gas. (still alive) Saw another one in the trunk of my car...how did he get in there is a good question.