Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Veterans Affair Backlog

The Department of Veterans Affairs is promising swift action in Baltimore. VA Secretary Eric Shinseki says the department will put two "help teams" on board to help the regional office pick up the pace. He's also bringing in high-level consultants and launching top-to-bottom training. All this comes after Sens. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.) and Ben Cardin (D-Md.) made a fuss over the office's backlog. It's the worst in the nation, with four out of five disability claims taking longer than four months. What's more, the lawmakers say, the office makes mistakes on those applications about a quarter of the time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inefficient federal employees? That's par for course though I would like to say I had a most pleasant experience at the Sby Social Security office. Those employees are top notch. The problem I did have turned out to be my own fault and they were sympathic and went out of their way to help me.

Anonymous said...

High-level consultants = High-PAID consultants! The government's solution to everything--form a high paid committee to study the problem until it goes away (if ever). What they really need is enough workers with enough education to do the job...

Anonymous said...

I filed for Social Security here in
salisbury. The lady who took care of my filling was very helpful and well trained. I could not have had better service.

Anonymous said...

I've had 2 different dealings with the VA. The first was quite different than the second. The first was when I was attempting to help a WWII veteran over 15 years ago and it was a nightmare. Recently I went with a friend and it was a different world. They actually thanked us for serving our country and smiled. That is an major improvement .