Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS


At approximately 2:30 pm, September 6, 2012, I entered the Publix store on Main St. in Gainesville , FL. to pick up a few items.  I gathered my items and went to the 14 items and under register to check-out.  The person in front of me (a white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hair do, clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase on the check out surface ONE GRAPE.  

Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE.  The cashier asked if that was all, she replied yes.  The cashier then weighted the GRAPE and told the women the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS), the women then pulled out her Food Stamp EBT card and swiped it through the credit card machine, requesting $24.00 in cash back.  The cashier asked if she wanted the GRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can.  The register recorded the sale as .02, cash back $24.00.  The cashier then asked if two fives would be okay because was out of tens, the woman agreed and took the $24.00 folded it up and put it in her pocket and left the store.

As the next person in line I asked the cashier as a tax payer what in the hell just happened here she said she was on the clock and could not comment. I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchase and discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her Food Stamp EBT card.  The cashier responded that it happens all day every day in their store.  She also said that if the person buying the GRAPE has it ring up over .02 they get mad and make her reweigh it.

My next comment was to ask the cashier if she planned to vote in November and she said she could hardly wait for 11/6/12 to get here as one tax payer to another.  I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madder than 10 wet hens. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know that really ticks me off. I've been unemployed for over a year now, not once attempted to get an independence card or assistance with heat or anything else.

Those businesses should be fined to the extent they are lucky if they are still in business afterwards.

Those businesses could care less about what is right, their bottom line is to get all of the money on those cards anyway that they can get it.

Anonymous said...

I saw a similar happen the other day and the store said their policy was to not do cash. The person left very mad. I thought it was hysterical.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of getting cash in this manner.

Anonymous said...

I always thought the rule was they couldn't get more than $5 in cash back. Then again that was back when they were using paper food stamps. Why give them food stamps if they can get cash anyway?

Anonymous said...

Since the govt. wants to count calories, how about this?

Give all the Food Stamp money to reliable Food Banks. Provide Food Bank cards to anyone who qualifies based on income.

Require the Food Banks to see this ID, then give the person only the number of calories per household member per visit, week or whatever.

Bingo, people who are fed, healthy and not buying nail jobs.

Anonymous said...

I find it hard to believe that anyone who works hard for a living, especially those who are struggling, would even think about voting for Nobama. Actually any democrat.

I am tired of paying for the do nothings on welfare who probably make more than I do. Not to mention the milions of free Nobama phones working people are paying for.

No democratic to ever get a vote from me

Anonymous said...

Florida? Was this woman Wendy Rosen? LOL