Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Why The Doctor Can't See You

The demand for health care under ObamaCare will increase dramatically. The supply of physicians won't. Get ready for a two-tier system of medical care.

Are you having trouble finding a doctor who will see you? If not, give it another year and a half. A doctor shortage is on its way.

Most provisions of the Obama health law kick in on Jan. 1, 2014. Within the decade after that, an additional 30 million people are expected to acquire health plans—and if the economic studies are correct, they will try to double their use of the health-care system.

Meanwhile, the administration never seems to tire of reminding seniors that they are entitled to a free annual checkup. Its new campaign is focused on women. Thanks to health reform, they are being told, they will have access to free breast and pelvic exams and even free contraceptives. Once ObamaCare fully takes effect, all of us will be entitled to a long list of preventive services—with no deductible or copayment.

Here is the problem: The health-care system can't possibly deliver on the huge increase in demand for primary-care services. The original ObamaCare bill actually had a line item for increased doctor training. But this provision was zeroed out before passage, probably to keep down the cost of health reform. The result will be gridlock.

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a somewhat related matter, I was wondering what your readers thought of health care and providers on the shore.

I have not come into contact with all the health care 'professionals' on the shore but most doctor's I have met seem to be aloof, uncaring, disrespectful and demeaning.

I was wondering if anyone else had similar situations or I am alone in this view.

Anonymous said...

You are not alone. I think I have a great GP; however the problem is he takes about 3 minutes with me then out the door after I have spent between 30 minutes to 1.5 hour in the waiting room and another 45 min. waiting in my room to see him. Most of the time, I don't have enough time to ask questions let alone get answers. This is o'bama care at its greatest. For ortho care,it's over the bridge for me, too many bad things seem to happen to people I've talked to abt. them. I wish my doctor would spend more time with me and not look at the clock all the time. It makes me want to not go to the doctor and try and treat myself or die trying. I don't like PRMC, the emergency room and doctors are a joke. It's like a car repair shop, you go in to be fixed/healed and within 24 hrs. you have to go back. Over the bridge for this too.

Anonymous said...

The only problem I have with my doctor is getting an appointment. It used to be you could call and get one sometimes the same day or the next day. He does spend time with you though and asks questions, the wait never is really that long and I never feel rushed. I do not like PRMCs ER. If I need to go or take someone we go to Atlantic General. So far so good. Even though they share ER doctors the tone in Atlantic general is different.

Anonymous said...

Ever have any talk down to you? Get mad, cuss, frustrated with you?

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why there is this drum beat of how you're not going to be able to get appt.'s at the dr.'s office because people are going to flock to the doctor.
I don't see it happening. I don't go to the doctor unless I NEED to.
I have not had health insurance for 20 years because I cannot afford it due to a pre-existing condition. Sure, I can get coverage, if I want to pay over a thousand dollars a month for it!
I am not and have not been on any sort of public assistance. I make too much money to qualify. When I do go to the doctor, I pay CASH!
Even with coverage, you wouldn't see me at the doctors office every time I turned around.
I am a believer that many people would be healthier if they stayed away from the doctor!!!

Anonymous said...

I think mine is trying to kill me