Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, February 11, 2012

HISTORICAL COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 2-11-12

Fairs, Carnivals, etc.



It seems that there has always been some sort of summer entertainment from out of town. The Salisbury Fair was begun in 1911 along with the first Wicomico County Fair. I can imagine the Salisbury Fair was held downtown and I know the Wicomico County Fair was held on the old Fairgrounds on Parsons Road. The Fairgrounds were on the southeast corner of Pemberton and Parsons Road. They had food, exhibits and many horse races. There was an admission to the Fair and it was $.25 for adults and $.15 for children under 12. You also had to pay $.25 if you brought a horse and carriage or automobile on the premises.

The Wicomico County Fair is still with us although the horse races are not. There are still a lot of exhibits and the animals the children of the area have raised are well worth seeing. The women also put out some mighty fine examples of flower growing, canning and baking.

Other forms of out of town entertainment came with the many traveling carnivals that set up at many different locations. I remember going to my first one when all the land across from the present East Salisbury School was empty. The midway was set up and there were many rides. My mother took me on the Ferris wheel and I remember rocking the car as it was stopped at the top, scaring my mother half to death. At the time I thought it was great fun. They also had a game on the midway that was a bowling ball that you tried to hit on the back swing of a ball suspended by a chain. I couldn’t hit that pin for anything and lost most of my money. I’m sure everyone remembers that the “prizes”, if you won, were usually some sort of plaster of Paris junk or some sort of worthless merchandise, but you “won”.

Another carnival was set up where the old Northwood bar was located. I only remember that being there a year or two. They also had a “girlie” show to provide entertainment for lecherous old men (and a few curious younger men). The next one I remember was where the old Mall parking lot was across the street from where the Civic Center is now. I vividly remember one exhibit they had – the Viking Giant. He was advertised as being 9 feet tall although that is taller than the tallest man who ever lived. He looked 9 feet tall to little ol’me. He had this ring that he took off and he could drop a 50 cent piece through it. He sold plastic replicas of the ring for 50 cents and did quite well.

The Salisbury Fair of today is reminiscent of the Fairs of days gone by and could probably be just as much fun. There are rides, plenty of food and the companionship of many people just enjoying themselves. Go and bring back some of the feeling of yesteryear.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The Wicomico County Fair is still with us although the horse races are not."

Where is the Wicomico County Fair and when?

Anonymous said...

George..I;m a couple of years younger than you , but I remember a carnival name " Virginia Greater Show " that set-up across from the college where Wendy's and KFC are. I'm also one of the " younger ones " that sneaked in the " Girlie Shows " I remember her name was "Little Egypt". I guess I'll never forget

Anonymous said...

All we have now are the overpriced amusement companies who are hired to put on "local" carnivals.The rides are run down and the prices are out of this world.

George Chevallier said...

The Wicomico County Fair is held at the Winter Place complex. It is sometime in the summer, but I don't know this year's exact dates. A call to the Civic Center should help you out.

Anonymous said...

I think the Wicomico County Fair became the Farm & Home Show. I remember it being at the Civic Center years ago, but I think now it's at Winterplace Park sometime in late summer.

Anonymous said...

The legal name is the Wicomico Farm & Home Show and it was formed in 1936. We just celebrated our 75th year! The name was changed for a few years (in the early 90's to Wicomico County Fair) in hopes that the County would financially help. We went back to our legal name in the late 90's/early 2000. The dates for this year are August 16th, 17th & 18th, 2012 at the Winter Place Park. Premium books are mailed out to last year's exhibitors and are placed around the county at various locations early in June. For more information, you can go to www.wicomicofarmandhomeshow.com or find us on facebook. Keep in mind that our website will be updated very soon. Thanks!

Susan B. Arnold,President
Wicomico Farm & Home Show