Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, January 26, 2012

There Are No Better Viewers Than Salisbury News Viewers

The big topic of the day today has clearly been the story about the two dogs that went missing yesterday and the a-hole who shot the dogs in the back of the head at point blank range.

Look Folks, my morning started literally at 3:00 AM and I thought at some point during the day I'd be able to take some kind of nap, that failed miserably. That story went up and my phone started going off the hook. Text messages like I've never seen and e-mail messages like I've never experienced before.

The monster that shot the two dogs is names Ty Chatham. We've been told he called the dogs up to him, they came. Its been reported he held the dogs by their collar and shot each one of them in the back of the head at point blank range.

Now, the reason I am posting this message is because I want to reach out to each and every one of you with my deepest gratitude. Veterinarian Hospitals, the Bank of Delmarva, businesses, citizens and even the Holloway Funeral Home have been contacting me to reach out with donations towards a reward and services like we've never experienced before.

I have been in regular contact today with the Family and I have to tell you, I came so close to breaking down myself today. Its one thing to hear about such a thing but its another talking directly with those people who owned these animals and hearing their voices/pain. Something needs to be done about this and quite frankly there are no real laws that stop people from simply claiming these animals were a threat and they can kill them on the spot.

I have spoken to many people today who said, I have never seen a Lab that seemed threatening. Why would someone do such a thing. I have seen many comments in which people are saying, you take these animals in and care for them until the owners are located.

Look Folks, there are simply some very sick people out there. Heck, when we first started doing the animal rescue here on Salisbury News, one Anti Albero Blogger was calling people telling them the dog they had found was his, it wasn't. He even threatened to call the Police if the people didn't give him the dog. There are simply mental people out there who have issues.

I have contacted Delegates and Senators on this matter today. Trust me, one way or another, something will be done. In the mean time, please do your best to keep your pets contained to your yard. Dogs and Cats are escape artists, we all know that. Heck, we've even experienced our own Horses finding ways to get out of the pasture, it happens.

In the mean time, you people are what I call "Good People" and YOU make all the hard work we put into this every day well worth our time. Thank You so very much!

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a "Joe Albero" supporter, however I like to read your blog to see the "other side", I believe it is always important to read opinions from both democrats and republicans .. not talking politicians.....and if I ever respond to any post I am always respectful and stay away from the name calling that I think everyone should try.
However, I will give a big congrats to your animal rescue post. I know you helped many families find their lost friends.

Anonymous said...

Joe
What is the appropriate law enforcement agency doing regarding and animal cruelty charge?

Beezer said...

Somedays I go about my normal daily business and then something like this incidence just draws the breath of life from my lungs.

I'm sure those animals didn't mean any harm to anyone. Just goes to show you how sick and demented some people are out there. I hope the law enforcement agents of Wicomico, Worcester, State, and Federal officials converge on this lunatic and give him a good dose of his own medicine.

My heart goes out to the owners - you did not deserve this type of behavior.

Anonymous said...

What is he some old backwoods farmer?

Anonymous said...

Where does that leave the killer? He should not be free.

Anonymous said...

I hope the owners of the dogs didnt have any kids.

Crystal said...

Joe we have spoken with Kelley and she asked that I tell you THANK YOU for going out of your way today and trying to help her family!!! She is eternally grateful for all you have done!! She said you are a BLESSING to her and her family!! She also appreciates everything that the community has done for her people that do not even know her. She broke down when she heard about the reward you started. Again THANK YOU for all you have done and I hope justice will be served swiftly to the SOB who did this to her babies. God Bless!!

Anonymous said...

Animal cruelty is the first charge Then comes loss of xxx. Then we kill him!

Bastard

Anonymous said...

Joe

If you know the name of the crulest person on the Eastern Shore why are not warrants already in hand?

Anonymous said...

Sadly, If the man called the dogs onto his property and then shot them; the POS was probably within his private property rights. It's not right but that's the way it is. I suggest everyone write this man's name down and never do business with him under any circumstances..That's how you can punish him. Thank God we know who did it.

Anonymous said...

8:49

If this individual had killed his own dogs in this manner it would have been animal curelty.

Why then would it not be animal crulety if he did the same thing to non aggressive animals who came onto his property?

Anonymous said...

I am so happy my 3yr hold daughter did not wander onto this individuals property.

Anonymous said...

Because he can lie.

Anonymous said...

Is the dbag in custody?

Anonymous said...

If they were shot in that manner, then I'm sure it would hold up in a court of law that he had no trouble restraining them by hand because they were not aggressive and approached in a friendly manner. If he had shot them any other way, it could be contested, but the back of the head is a position where it is NOT POSSIBLE for those dogs to have posed a threat to him. If you execute a burglar in your home like that you will go to jail, plain and simple, because you adequately removed the threat. If you shoot a burglar in the front, then you were probably shooting as he charged you.

Sherry said...

There are many things this man can be charged with. Animal cruelty being the first. Then possible firearms violations. Many years ago I had a dog shot by a neighbor that said he thought the dog was going to attack him. The police came and once they found out he went in his house and came back out and shot the dog he was arrested immediately. Even if the dog which was a six month old pup had been going to bite. This man was safe back in his house and came back out after the dog. This happened in Maryland. If there is any proof this person called these dogs to him and shot them he will be charged. I personally hope they shoot him at point blank range. He is a danger to the community. Could be someones child next.

Anonymous said...

8:15
Do you have a problem with farmers?

Anonymous said...

What ever he is charged with I can only hope it is very painful to him.

Anonymous said...

Horrific

Mickey Justice said...

There have been TONS of case studies and research linking animal abusers to human abuse and sex crimes. Jeff Damher; to name one.
Maybe if there was a convicted animal abuser list (just like the sex offender list), investigators might have a starting point for better leads of possible sex offenders and domestic violence offenders....etc.
One study from 1997 (?) Showed a, shocking, 100% comparison rate between animal abusers and violent crime offenders.

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell the area where this happened? I think I might have some information about the shooter.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't have said it any better. This has been disheartening to read. I've got your name now scumbag!

Anonymous said...

What, if anything, has been done to charge Chatham?

Anonymous said...

He shot them in the BACK of their head, how were they any threat? Karma will get the dirtbag.

Sherry said...

Hey Joe. Can you keep us all updated on what is happening with the worthless piece of trash that did this.

Anonymous said...

@10:54pm - Meadow Bridge Rd in Eden

Anonymous said...

Has Ty Chatham been convicted of this horrible crime? Until he has, the best you can do is say that he ALLEGEDLY did it. Innocent people get accused of crimes every day. If you would like to have the presumption of innocence should an accusal ever happen to you, then you need to afford it to another person.

That being said, IF he gets convicted, I hope there is a long prison sentence for him. To shoot an animal in the back of the head is heinous.

Anonymous said...

Is Ty Chatham, GROVER TODD CHATHAM JR?

Anonymous said...

Yes

Anonymous said...

Grover Todd Chatham Jr. lives in a yellow ramshackled and junked-up house on Meadow Bridge Road. If you ride out there, it is unmistakable. He is located on the East side of the road and piles his trash at the back door. His place looks worse than the county dump. One can only imagine what it looks like inside. He obviously has mental issues, but that does not excuse the execution of loving Lab dogs.