Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, October 10, 2011

The Old Mill In Delmar Is Nothing Like It Used To Be

Even though we live just down the street from this restaurant we do not frequent it for numerous reasons. The main reason is during the prime time of the season, trying to get a seat used to be almost impossible. Today things are quite different.

Under new ownership we called in advance to ask if we need to make reservations. When I was asked how many was in our party I replied, four. They said, not tonight.

We arrived about 15 minutes in advance and checked in. We were put on a list so I asked how long they thought our wait would be. They replied, probably 30 minutes or so. The couple that was going to meet us was running late so when they called my name we walked up and they noticed it was only two of us, so far. The woman told me they could NOT seat us until everyone arrived. HMMMMMM!

We were then forced to go back and wait. There's a large bar in the waiting area but it was closed. I asked why and they said they don't serve this time of year, yet there were quite a few people waiting and since I was in the business I truly can't imagine why they wouldn't have someone there just to pour draft beer but that's their problem.

I want to go back to the beginning for just a second because one of the things that really struck me when we first arrived was the overpowering stench of human waste. Their septic system, (or holding tanks, more than likely) was obviously overflowing, or at least maxed out. We got the same impression when we were leaving, NOT a good way to end your very expensive meal, that's for sure. For years I had noticed septic companies every Monday out there clearing out their system but Saturday night it was just unreal.

Moving forward, I was the only one who chose to order All You Can Eat Crabs. Not once did they bring me a full tray of crabs. It was a small basket of crabs and I'd have to wait for more. The Waitress would come around fairly frequently but what blew my mind after knowing I was paying $34.95 for my meal she'd say, WOULD YOU LIKE MORE. HELLO! In my honest opinion she should have brought them out as fast and as often as possible until I said I've had enough.

As for the quality of the crabs, they tasted like vinegar and very bland. There was Old Bay on them but they must be cooking them so fast these days nothing sinks in, flavor wise. When your paying $34.95 I expect one hell of an experience and I truly cannot believe Eastern Shore resident tolerate such crap. Maybe there's so many come here's that they've forgotten what good crabs are all about. One thing I can assure you of is, I get the best crabs of the year whenever I go to one of those fundraisers where the crabs were cooked earlier and the old bay marinades into the meat.

I would expect this kind of crap in the transient atmosphere of Ocean City, not out in the boonies where we know how things are made here on the Eastern Shore. I'm constantly amazed at how many vehicles are outside this restaurant on weekends, especially in the middle of the summer.

So all in all the cost for four people to eat dinner ran us about $150.00 total. Two of the meals were 8 oz steaks, again, a complete joke, especially for the price they were charging. Hard seats, people almost yelling at most of the tables, you know, a complete redneck environment where most just wanted to be recognized. Some bitch about little kids making too much noise in a restaurant but in my honest opinion, adults making even more noise is far more annoying.

So I believe this will be our last trip to the Old Mill in Delmar. I'm just not Redneck enough for such crap.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

it hasnt been the same since it was sold

try red roost next time

but honestly if you want good crabs, nothing beats cooking them at home

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm glad that this is not a mystery-writer review of Old Mill!

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more. If it's all you can eat crabs, they should just keep on bringing them and dumping them on the table until you say, whoa I've had enough. We haven't been there in quite some time now - way overpriced for us and just not that good any more.

Anonymous said...

The Town of Delmar DE has approached the Old Mill countless times about hooking up to their sewer facilities and it was always turned down. I used to go quite often, but not since the Kowalski's sold it.

Anonymous said...

The way to do crabs - steam (no crabs in water please) as soon as done, dump and sprinke liberally with Old Bay (no Old Bay on crabs till cooked)

As bad as you say they tasted I am surprised you wanted more.

Anonymous said...

I'd be willing to bet that your review would have been quite different had they comped your meal.

Anonymous said...

10:46... Why wouldn't he want more??? He went there to eat crabs plus he paid $35 for them!!!

Joseph Albero said...

anonymous 11:10, Don't be so stupid. Look Jonathan, if you don't like what I provide, DON'T COME BACK HERE amd certainly stop hiding behind anonymous. Only an a-hole like you would make such a statement.

Anonymous said...

I heard you posted this. Go FUCK YOURSELF! HaHa, I was told you were here, and gave you exactly what you received, because I knew nothing good would come from it. Wish you knew what else was on your meal. The laugh is on you! If no-oen else ever gets you, I DID! Did I say pay backs a bitch!

Anonymous said...

Havent been in ten years, wont go again.

Anonymous said...

11:12 - This here's 10:46. There is no dispute that Joe ordered and ate crabs. Joe is the one who complained over the taste. I do not know why Joe insisted on having more crabs when he said they were not fit to eat. I would not have asked for more if I did not like the way they tasted. But than again I am not Joe, I did mot order those crabs nor did I pay for them. I was only expressing my opinion in a casual comment. Sorry I offended you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like they have a real punk working for them.

Anonymous said...

During the last couple of weekends the local buffets have been packed.Question:Do those people who cram pack the local buffets include multitudes who chose not to wait at the Old Mill?I would guess that a 45 minute wait would discourage a lot of folks.The Old Mill has been really good during my last 2 visits,but I would have gone elsewhere rather than wait who knows how long.

Anonymous said...

Are the current owners the same folks that own the Dominos in Fruitland?

Anonymous said...

I eat at Georgia House. Never had a bad meal...the sunday brunch is to die for especially the omlets made to order while you wait.

You can see what is put in them you dont have to guess.

Anonymous said...

Having lived on the shore since 1974, I have eaten at most of the restaurants (now closed & still operating) over the years. AYCE crab houses were once a great place to have a meal at a reasonable price, but that was many years ago when they were family owned and operated. They treated guests as they would a gust in their home but today they a just a business with a bottom line that needs to be meet. Buy crabs and steam'em at home with friends and beer!

Anonymous said...

Try the Masthead at Pier Street, in Oxford. AYCE is usually $24 or so. The crabs are always heavy and sweet. No forcing the "extras" on you. If you just want crabs, save your money. If you want sides, pay for them (and still save money). The Scottish Highland Creamery is right down the street for desert.

Since I moved up the shore, Masthead has become a favorite of mine. Old friends refused to drive so far "just for crabs," but every one that has come up has returned to the Masthead on their own, later.

Anonymous said...

I will never go back to the Old Mill they just do not know how to cook crabs and they do not care if you do not like them.