Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Why Your Nose Itches More As You Age

WASHINGTON -- Ever notice that older people seem to have runny noses? Or that someone you know is suddenly allergic to shellfish who never was before?
 
As people age, they can develop new sensitivities to things they never had problems with before. Maybe it's perfume that now makes you sneeze, or suddenly pollen gives you a runny nose.
 
"Well, we're always morphing," says Dr. Rachel Schreiber, an allergist with Shady Grove Adventist Hospital.
"The immune system can weaken as we get older," Schreiber says.
 
"Our bodies overall just become less elastic. Oftentimes people get a runnier nose as they age."

More

2 comments:

Alex said...

I thought it was all that coke they do.

Anonymous said...

I've found that I can no longer eat pasta of any kind. I've eaten it all my life but now it makes me sick almost immediately.
It doesn't matter whether it's spaghetti, macaroni, noodles or what. They all make me sick now.
I hate it!
We know it's not a wheat allergy because bread and crackers do not bother me, even though I eat very little of them.