Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Students, Parents And Teachers Nationwide Protest Gutting Of Public Education

When 18-year-old Tiffini Baldwin decided to take part in a peaceful sit-in to speak out against the possible closure of Catherine Ferguson Academy (CFA), a public school for pregnant girls and teen moms in Detroit, Michigan, she didn't think she'd be arrested.

"What's wrong with standing up for education? When the cops actually showed up, I was afraid. I was more afraid for my three-year-old daughter," she said. "The cops were trying to intimidate us the entire time, saying they would take our babies away, but I knew that wasn't true because we met with lawyers before the action."

In an interview withVoice of Detroit, 17-year-old Ashley Matthews said the cop who arrested her slammed her down on her stomach on the floor. "All the girls went berserk, telling him to get off me, but he was just wiping up the floor with me. He pressed his thumbs in my neck, and he tightened the handcuffs so hard that I have bruises there. I cried at first, but then I made myself stop."

More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This young lady found out what many in the 1960's found. If you are going to protest against the Evil American Empire then you had better be ready to suffer the consequences.

Our Government does not take kindly to criticism.