Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Stinkbugs Are Destroying Farmers Crops In Maryland

THURMONT, Md. (WJZ) — They’re annoying and they mate like crazy.
“I’m still picking them out of the house.

Weijia Jiang reports for Maryland farmers like Bob Black, Asian stinkbugs are potentially devastating.

“This is an unbelievable thing I’ve ever seen in my life,” said Black, Catoctin Mountain Orchard.

Everything black grows on his 100 acre farm in Thurmont.

“Strawberries, other berries, cherries, plums, peaches and apples,” said Black.

His produce is just what the critters are hungry for.

“If you’re a grower and you’ve smashed em you don’t think they stink, they make me so mad the damage they cause to my product,” said Black.

The USDA has set up traps all over Black’s farm. On a red and white tab there are pheromones to attract the stinkbugs, that way they know when they’re moving in.

4 comments:

tmills said...

Who wrote this? A fourth-grader?

Alex said...

I think that stink bugs were invented in Kenya and is just a small part of a large liberal conspiracy. Shame on Obama for stink bugs.
Palin/Bachman 2012

Anonymous said...

Well Obama is from Kenya and he defiantly stinks.

Anybody but Obama 2012

Anonymous said...

I think I am begining to understand why Alex is a liberal he can't read. The article clearly says the bugs are from Asia not Africa. Maybe Alex if you take time to read and understand there may be hope that one day you might vote republican.