Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gas Mileage

Joe-

A while back you ran a post on gas prices, and a commenter talked about pumping gas more slowly-- that gas is designed to expand and become vapor, so air mixes with it easily, and you'll get more actual gas my pumping more slowly.

I took the advice and began to pump my gas much more slowly.  I pump at a rate of  .1 gal/second  (which makes it easy to get it right-- just watch the pump and count "one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two," etc).

My gas mileage has gone up by 1.5 - 2 MPG.  That might not seem like a lot, but on a 20-gallon fillup, it's another 30-40 miles I can drive. It can really add up over time.

I haven't done anything else that would significantly affect the mileage. I'm just getting more gas and less air as I pump it.

It PAYS to read Salisbury News!

Jim

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally missed that post! I am going to try this, every little bit helps!!! Thanks for posting this Joe!

Anonymous said...

as silly as that sounds, i'm gonna have to try it! thanks!

Anonymous said...

I tread the post a few weeks ago , however , I still don't think it makes a difference in gas milage.

JLB said...

I have always pumped my gas slowly...its just like pouring a beer...if you just pour it slow the gas doesnt create a head(like a beer) and fills your tank with gas and not foam. plus slow down..it make take you a bit longer to get to your destination but will save you fuel.

Anonymous said...

just because youre getting more gas in your tank does not mean youre getting better mpg. but i guess if it makes you feel better by taking 20 minutes to fill up your tank, by all means do so.

Jim said...

2:49-- you're an idiot.
I'm getting more gas for the money I pay.
I get to drive farther for each dollar.
And it takes me about 1-2 minutes longer to pump the gas.
What's your problem?

Anonymous said...

5:31
You're the idiot!
When the fool was pumping fast, it was cold out. Now that it's warm the car gets better gas mileage.
Gas pumps are not fooled by cold vs warm gas.
The car will get much better mileage without lengthly warm up periods

Anonymous said...

When you pump fast the foam or air bubbles cause the pump to kick off. If you wait just a few seconds and then finish your fill up by pumping the last gallon or so slower you will get the same results. A full tank is a full tank. Pumping the whole tank slower doesn't do anything but waste time. And 6;51 is right you will get more mileage in warmer weather because you are not burning gas waiting for the windows to defrost or the heater to start blowing warm air...