Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, December 03, 2010

Tim Spies Press Release

Salisbury has a problem.  A very large problem. That problem is crime.

Crime keeps away business. Crime keeps away jobs and opportunity. Crime devours our resources. Crime raises our taxes, our insurance rates, our rents. Crime erodes property values and buyer confidence. Crime leads to neighborhood degradation, then to decay, attracting more crime and criminals along the way. Crime has us fearful in our own homes. Fearful of what might happen if we leave. Fearful of what might happen if we stay
.
The problem is getting bigger and spreading. Open drug deals within sight of grade and middle schools, public sex acts in plain view of family homes. Murders, rapes, armed robberies, burglaries and other serious crimes, all in numbers too high to believe: over nine hundred in just over three months. Nine hundred...

It doesn't have to be like this.

My name is Tim Spies. I care about Salisbury and all that Salisbury can and should be.

I seek a seat on Salisbury's City Council in 2011.  I want your vote.

My goals: to break the council-mayor deadlock that has cursed our city for years and to set and keep the task of crime control at the forefront of council business, where it should be.

Salisbury's city council needs to move on, past the pandering, politicking and divisiveness
that has characterized it for over a decade. A council that follows its own rules of order, makes well-informed, intelligent decisions and truly looks out for its citizens is the council that we need. Does that sound like our present council, or the one before it, or the one before that?  Many would say not.
 
The next council needs to be a better council.

Salisbury's health is long past being at risk. It is severely compromised. In a healthy city, the health and well-being of all within it become easier to achieve and maintain. Salisbury's health needs to be restored, step by measured step. The first step: address crime.  Aggressively, systematically and comprehensively. We need to be direct and unwavering. We need proven, all-inclusive measures and strategies, not disjointed, half-hearted efforts with already failed tools and an agenda that conveniently ignores some of crime's root causes. Band-aids will not stop the bleeding of an arterial wound.

I am not a politician. I have no hidden agenda. I have no ties to any special interests. I know that Salisbury must become safer to survive. Only the right city council can help make that happen.

Whether Salisbury is called home, place of business or alma mater, its unique quality of life and its people are two of its most important assets.  They must be protected and nurtured to thrive.. 

I believe this.  I think that you do, too.

Know the issues. Vote responsibly. Salisbury needs you.

tspies@cavtel.net - 410-219-5209
By Authority, Emily E. Spies, Treasurer

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken and Ann say, "You're the man". Can't wait until election time.

Anonymous said...

replace ever word "crime" in the first paragraph and replace it with "taxes". works just as well dontcha think?

LadyLiddy said...

Wish I was a Salisbury resident so I could vote for this guy. I don't live in Salisbury, but I work here. I like what Tim Spies has to say. Are you listening Salisbury?

Anonymous said...

I don't have a problem with Tim, however every want to be politician states the obvious problems and no resolutions.
Good luck,Tim! You too have my
vote if only for the fact we
need a change.

Anonymous said...

I heard from a reliable source at the GOB that Joel Dixon, a volunteer from the Salisbury Fire Department picked up an application to run for the same seat.

Anonymous said...

I dont live here either I have a busineess here. I will campagign for him. We need a change for the betterment of Salisbury and its people.

Anonymous said...

I met Tim at the WNC dinner a couple of weeks ago and I was very impressed with him. We definitely need some changes on the Council and I feel that he would do an excellent job. EL

Anonymous said...

Tell us your position on Ireton's various "safe streets" proposals.

Specific positions and plans, not platitudes, please.

Anonymous said...

The modest Tim Spies left out the fact that he is a Desert Storm veteran (Navy), a medic at that.

He's got my vote.

Anonymous said...

8:20, he's got my vote also!!

Anonymous said...

ever word

Wish I was a Salisbury resident ( no you don't )

I heard from a reliable source at the GOB ( yeah, right )

We need a change for the betterment ( yes we do, starting with your grammar )

Specific positions and plans, not platitudes, please. ( such big words )

The modest Tim Spies left out the fact that he is a Desert Storm veteran (Navy), a medic at that.

He's got my vote. ( omg. yes, this is an excellent reason to vote for someone. )

You people are so dumb it saddens me to no end. No wonder idiots keep get elected. Look at the geniuses doing the voting.

Anonymous said...

Maybe there is still hope for Salisbury. No doubt we need change and a real change in our leadership! God Bless Salisbury!

Anonymous said...

Crime raises rent? No. Crime lowers rent.

Anonymous said...

8:20, You left out MENSA.
(That means his IQ is higher than the council majority combined.)

Anonymous said...

Tim is the man

Anonymous said...

So, 11:20, medic, MENSA, long and stellar record of community service and you think that he would be a poor choice. You think that those of us who will support him are dumb? Who will you support and why? Do you live in teh city?

Anonymous said...

11:29 you are a jerk. Tim, I hope you make it. I personally think you are the man for the job. The ones there now are a joke. The whole government of Salisbury is a joke. I'm glad I don't live there.

Anonymous said...

12:20: Cohen is not a jerk. She works hard for the city. I hope that Salisbury realizes what a great public servant she is and keep her. Replace Smith or Comegys with Spies and the city could see positive change. For those who don't follow closely, there are three open seats...those currently held by Smith, Comegys, and Cohen.